The study assesses the qualities of contaminated soils of three municipal waste dumpsites in Dholpur, Rajasthan. The pH of the dumpsite soils ranged from 6.12Â±0.36 to 7.85Â±0.31 which is tending towards neutral or alkaline pH. Water holding capacity and moisture content at dumpsites were in good amounts (28.33Â±1.23 to 46.48Â±1.09 and 32.43Â±1.69 to 50.74Â±1.22 % respectively). Organic matter was higher (1.70Â±0.49 to 2.65Â±0.28%) at dumpsites as compared to their adjoining areas. Clay texture class played a significant role in differentiating normal soils of adjoining area than dumpsite soils. Total metal concentrations of Cr, Cu, Fe, Ni, Pb and Zn were also analyzed and elevated levels of heavy metals were obtained at dumpsites (34.56Â±1.05 to 110.75Â±2.59 mg/kg). Metal contamination at dumpsite was in the order of Pb>Cu>Cr>Ni>Zn>Cd imparting highest contamination to Recco Area dumpsite while Housing board dumpsite was least contaminated. Cr and Cd were not detectable from all adjoining areas while Pb, Zn, Fe, Ni and Cu were present in least amounts (7.12Â±0.20 to 36.84Â±4.12 mg/kg). Physico-chemical properties and heavy metal concentrations at each dumpsite were also correlated with each other and many significant correlations were observed. This work will prove valuable in providing baseline information for further soil quality monitoring studies in study area.
Heavy Metals, Soil Contamination, Environmental Monitoring, MSW Management
- Aydinalp, C., Marinova. S., (2003), Distribution and forms of heavy metals in some agricultural soils, Polish Journal of Environmental Studies, 12(5), pp 629-630
- Beaven, R.P., Walker, A.N., (1997), Evaluation of the total pollution load of MSW, Proceedings Sardinia â€™97, 6th International Landfill Symposium. CISA: Cagliari, Italy, pp 57â€“71
- Belevi, H., Baccini, P., (1989), Long-term behavior of municipal solid waste landfills, Waste Management Research, 7, pp 43â€“56
- Biswas, A.K., Kumar, S., Babu, S.S., Bhattacharya, J.K., Chakrabarti, T., (2010), Studies on environmental quality in and around municipal solid waste dumpsite, Resource Conservation and Recycling, 55, pp 129-134
- Blake, G.R., Hartge, K.H., (1986), Bulk density, In â€˜Methods of soil analysis, Part I: Physical and mineralogical methodsâ€™, ASA Monograph, Madison, WI, pp 363-376
- Dalal, R.C., Moloney, D., (2000), Sustainability indicators of soil health and biodiversity, In Management for sustainable ecosystems, ed. P. Hale, A. Petrie, D. Moloney, and P. Sattler. Brisbane: Centre for Conservation Biology, University of Queensland. pp 101â€“108
- Esakku, S., Palanivelu, K., Joseph, K., (2003), Assessment of heavy metals in a municipal solid waste dumpsite, Workshop on Sustainable Landfill Management. 3â€“5 December, Chennai, India, pp 139-145
- Fowles, M., (2007), Black carbon sequestration as an alternative to bioenergy, Biomass and Bioenergy, 31, pp 426â€“432
- Gairola, S.U., Soni, P., (2010), Role of soil physical properties in ecological succession of restored mine land â€“ A case study, International Journal of Environmental Sciences, 1(4), pp 475-480
- Hamdeh-Abu, N.H., (2004), The effect of tillage treatments on soil water holding capacity and on soil physical properties, ISCO 2004 - 13th International Soil Conservation Organization Conference â€“ Brisbane, July 2004 Conserving Soil and Water for Society: Sharing Solutions Paper No. 669, pp 1-6
- Hoffmann, L., Christiansen, K., Petersen, C., (1991), Lead and cadmium contamination of compostable waste derived from source-separated household waste, In: Farmer JG, editor, International conference on heavy metals in the environment, vol. 2. Edinburgh: CEP Consultants Ltd, pp.264â€“267
- Jackson, M.L., (1974), Soil chemical analysis, Englewood Cliffs, N.J.: Prentice Hall
- Mahar, R.B., Liu, J., Yue, D., Nie, Y., (2007), Land filling of pretreated municipal solid waste by natural convection of air and its effects, Journal of Environmental Science and Health, 42. pp 351â€“359
- Ogundiran, M.B., Osibanjo, O., (2008), Heavy metal concentrations in soils and accumulation in plants growing in a deserted slag dumpsite in Nigeria, African Journal of Biotechnology, 7(17), pp 3053â€“3060
- Rai, A.K., Paul, B., Singh, G., (2010), A study on the bulk density and its effect on the growth of selected grasses in coal mine overburden dumps, Jharkhand, India, International Journal of Environmental Sciences, 1(4), pp 677-684
- Rajkumar, N., Subramani, T., Elango, L., (2010), Groundwater contamination due to municipal solid waste disposal â€“ A GIS Based Study in Erode City, International Journal of Environmental Sciences, 1(1), pp 39-55
- Sahrawat, K.L., Narteh, L.T., (2002), A fertility index for submerged rice soils, Communications in Soil Science and Plant Analysis, 33, pp 229â€“236
- Saxena, S., Srivastava, R.K., Samaddar, A.B., (2009), Towards sustainable municipal solid waste management in Allahabad City, Management of Environmental Quality: An International Journal, 21(3), pp 308-323
- Saxena, M.M., (1987), Environmental analysis -Water, Soil and Air, 2nd edition, Agro Botanical Pulishers (India), pp 123-148
Cite this Article:
International Journal of Sciences is Open Access Journal.
This article is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY 4.0) License.
Author(s) retain the copyrights of this article, though, publication rights are with Alkhaer Publications.