In the work presented here, we have investigated whether the presence surfactants has any influence on the linear growth of the single-phase domains. We expected that coalescence could eventually be retarded by increasing the concentration of surfactants in the mixtures. Therefore we determined the thresholds of the surfactant concentration beyond which the separation process starts to slow down significantly. Our results indicate that surfactant presence does not affect the early stage of separation, only when droplets reach their critical size, it slows down the complete separation.
- Califano F, Calvi E, Gupta R, Shinnar R, and Mauri R (2003), Convection driven phase segregation of deeply quenched liquid mixtures, J. Chem. Phys. 118, 8841
- Califano F and Mauri R (2004), Drop size evolution during the phase separation of liquid mixtures, Ind. Eng. Chem. Res. 43,349
- Califano F, Mauri R, and Shinnar R (2005), Large-scale unidirectional convection during phase separation of a density-matched liquid mixture, Physics of Fluids, 17
- Chou YC and Goldburg WI (1979), Phase separation and coalescence in critically quenched isobutyric-acid-water and 2-6-lutidine-water mixtures, Phys. Rev. A 20, 2105
- Cumming A, Wiltzius P, Bates F S, Rosedale J H (1992), Light-Scattering Experiments on Phase Separation Dynamics in Binary Fluid Mixtures, Phys. Rev. A 1992, 45, 885
- DeBenedetti P (2006), Fluid-Phase Behavior of Binary Mixtures in which One Component can Have Two Critical Points.â€ J. Chem. Phys., 124, 154503, 2006 [with S. Chatterjee]
- Frankel E, Sarkies KW (1975), Nonclassical nucleation theory, Phys. Rev. A 11, 1724-1731
- Guenoun P, Gastaud R, Perrot F, and Beysens D (1992). Spinodal decomposition patterns in an isodensity critical binary ï¬‚uid: Direct-visualization and light-scattering analysesâ€ Phys. Rev. A 36, 4876
- Gunton J, SanMiguel M, Sahni P (1983), Phase transition and critical phenomena, Domb and Lebowitz Eds, Academic press, Vol. 8
- Gupta R, Mauri R, and Shinnar R (1999). Phase separation of liquid mixtures in the presence of surfactants, Ind. Eng. Chem. Res. 38, 2418
- Hanson (1971), Handbook of solvent extraction, Wiley-Interscience, New York, 1983
- Hohenberg PC and Halperin BI (1977). Theory of dynamic critical phenomena, Rev. Mod. Phys. 49, 435
- Lo T, Baird I, Hanson C (1983), Handbook of solvent extraction, Wiley-Interscience, New York
- Schweitzer PA (1975), Handbook of Separation Techniques for Chemical Engineers, new York, McGraw Hill, selected pages
- Siggia E (1979), Late stages of spinodal decomposition in binary mixtures, Phys. Rev. A 20, 595
- Stokes, G. G. (1966), On the Effect of the Internal Friction of Fluids on the Motion of Pendulums. Cambridge Philos. Trans. 9, 8-106, 1851. Reprinted in Mathematical and Physical Papers, 2nd ed., Vol. 3. New York: Johnson Reprint Corp., p. 1
- Treybal (1963), Liquid extraction, McGraw Hill, New York, NY
- Ullmann A, Ludmer Z, Shinnar R (1995), Phase transition extraction using solvents mixtures with a critical point of miscibility, AIChE J. 41, 489
- Ullmann A, Ludmer Z, Shinnar R (1993), Novel separation process using solvents with a critical point of miscibility, Proc. AIChE Conference, Miami, Fla
- White W, Wiltzius P (1995), Real space measurement of structure in phase separating binary fluid mixtures, Phys. Review letters, 75, 3012
- Williams JK, Dawe A (1986), Critical behavior of phase separating mixtures in porous media, J. of Colloid and Interface Science, 117, No. 1
- Williams JK, and Dawe A (1989), Modeling Pore Scale Displacement Processes at Near Critical Conditions, J. Petroleum Sci. and Eng. 2, 225-233
- Zettlemoyer AC (1969), Nucleation, Marcel Dekker Inc., New York, Chapters 1-5
Cite this Article:
International Journal of Sciences is Open Access Journal.
This article is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY 4.0) License.
Author(s) retain the copyrights of this article, though, publication rights are with Alkhaer Publications.