Natural rubber (NR) latex and polyvinyl acetate (PVAc) emulsion were blended into various compositions as follows: NR/PVAc (0/100; 25/75; 40/60; 50/50; 60/40; 75/25; 100/0). The resulting blends were used as binders in the formulation of waterborne paints which were then characterized for some physical properties such as total solids contents (TSCs), pH, viscosity, opacity, antifungal index, and water-repellency. From the results, the formulation based on binder composition, 25/75 (NR/PVAc) tends to demonstrate unique property profile that is favourable for waterborne paints. The resulting paint is suitable for both interior and exterior wall protection. The presence of natural rubber in the binder composition improves the water resistance and fluidity of the paint while PVAc simultaneously imparts the filmsâ€™ strength.
Polyvinyl acetate, Natural rubber, Latex, Waterborne, binders, blends
- Tambe S.P., Singh S.K., Patri M., Kumar, Dhirendra (2008). Ethylene vinyl acetate and ethylene vinyl alcohol copolymer for thermal spray coating application. Progress in Organic Coatings 62: 382-386
- McGinnis V.D. (1996). Advances in environmentally benign coatings and adhesives. Progress in Organic Coatings 27: 153-166
- Kojima S.J., Watanabe Y.S. (1993). Polym Engng Sci 33 (5): 253
- BS ISO 124 (2008). Latex, rubber. Determination of total solids contents
- American Standards for Testing and Materials (ASTM) (1973). Part 21: D1639-70.
- Bauer A.W., Kirby W.M.M., Sherris J.C., Turck M. (1966). American J. Clin. Path. 45: 493
- Swanson C. Preparation of buffered formalin IZ-10-3.7. Revision Date: 01/13/2011; Effective Date: 01/25/2011
- Bentley J. Turner G.P.A. (1998). Introduction to Paint Chemistry and Principles of Paint Technology 4th ed., London: Chapman & Hall
Cite this Article:
International Journal of Sciences is Open Access Journal.
This article is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY 4.0) License.
Author(s) retain the copyrights of this article, though, publication rights are with Alkhaer Publications.