Author(s): Isabela M. Reck, Angela Kwiatkowski, Julianna M. Vagula, Edmar Clemente
Download Full PDF
Read Complete Article
Volume 3 - Mar 2014
Brazil stands out as a major fruit producer. However, many fruits are not yet produced in large scale due to the lack of knowledge of their cultivation practices. Solanum nigrum L. is a plant that produces small fruits known as Black-Mary. In this work, we evaluated the following characteristics: titratable acidity (TA), soluble solids (SS), TA / SS ratio, pH, vitamin C, crude protein, lipids, ashes (minerals), mineral quantification, reducing and total sugars and staining characterization (parameters a, b, C, G, H), phenolic compounds content evaluation, anthocyanins and their antioxidant activity. The results were satisfactory, especially regarding its antioxidant activity and phenolic compounds, which presented the values of 40.09% and 1036.32 mg per 100 g of sample, respectively. We can also highlight its 0.06% lipids content, 81.05% moisture and 2.25% protein content, along with significant amounts of macronutrients and micronutrients.
Solanum nigrum L., physicochemical, bioactive compounds
- AOAC. 1997. Association of Official Analytical Chemistry. Official Methods of Analysis of AOAC International.16th. ed. 3rd. rev
- BLIGH, E. G.; DYER, W. J., 1959. A rapid method of lipid extraction and full purification. Canadian Journal of Biochemistry and Physiology, Ottawa, v.37, n.8, p.911-917
- BUCIC-KOJIC, A.; PLANINIC, M.; TOMAS, S.; BILIC, M.; VELIC, D., 2007.Study of solid-liquid extraction kinetics of total polyphenols from grapes seeds. Journal Food Engineer, v. 81, p. 236-242
- CHILD A, LESTER, R. N., 2001. Synopsis of the genus Solanum L. and its infrageneric taxa. In: van den Berg RG, Barendse, G. W. M., Van der Weerden G. M., Mariani C (eds) Solanaceae V: advancesin taxonomy and utilization. Nijmegen University Press, Nijmegen, pp 39â€“52
- CHITARRA, A. B.; CHITARRA, M. I. F. 2005. Postharvest fruit and vegetables; physiology and handling. Lavras: UFLA, 783p
- DHELLOT J. R., MATOUBA and MALOUMBI M. G., NZIKOU J. M., 2006. Extraction and nutritional properties of Solanum nigrum L seed oil. Afr. J. Biotech. 5:987-91
- IAL. Institute Adolfo Lutz. Ministry of Health National Health Surveillance Agency. Physical-Chemical Methods of Food Analysis / Ministry of Health, the National Agency for Sanitary Vigilance. Brasilia: Ministry of Health, 2005. chap. IV. p. 116-141 (Series A: Technical Standards and Technical Manuals)
- ITAL. Institute of Food Technology. Technical Manual for Chemical Analysis of Food. Campinas, 1990
- KECHINSKI, C. P. Studies of different forms of blueberry processing aiming at the preservation of anthocyanin compounds. 2011.(Doctoral Thesis). School of Engineering. Federal University do Rio Grande do Sul. 292p
- KUMAR, V. P., SHASHIDRA, S., KUMAR M. M., SRIAHARA B. Y., 2001.Cytoprotective role of Solanum nigrum against Gentamycin induced kidney cell (Vero cells) damage in vitro. Phytotherapy. 72:481-6
- LATIFFK. M., 2002. Tumbuhan Ubatan Malayasia, Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia in collaboration with Ministry of science, Technology and Innovation.p. 589
- LEES, D. H., FRANCIS, F. J., 1972.Standardization of pigment analyses in cranberries.HortScience, v. 7, n. 1, p. 83-84.
- LEHMANN C, BIELA C, TOPFL, S., JANSEN, G., VOGEL, R., 2007. Solanum scabrumâ€”a potential source of a coloring plant extract. Euphytica 158:189â€“199
- MANOKO M. L. K., Van der WEERDEN, G. M., 2004. Solanum villosum. In: Grubben G. J. H., Denton O. A., (eds) Plant resources of Tropical Africa 2 vegetables. PROTA Foundation Wageningen/CTAWageningen, Backuys Publishers, Leiden, The Netherlands, pp503â€“507
- MELO, E. A., MACIEL, M. I. S., LIMA, V. M. A. G., NASCIMENTO, R. J.,2008.Antioxidant capacity os fruits Brazilian Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences, v. 44, n. 2
- PAVAN, M. A., BLOCH, M. F., ZEMPULSKI, H. C., MIYAZAWA, M. and ZOCOLER, D. C., 1992. Manual of landâ€™s chemical analysis and quality control.Technical notice n.76.Londrina: IAPAR, p. 40
- RUFINO, M. S. M., ALVES, R. E., BRITO, E. S., MORAIS, S. M., SAMPAIO, C. G., PÃ‰REZ-JIMÃ‰NEZ, J., SAURA-CALIXTO, F. D., 2007. Science Methodology: Determination of total antioxidant activity in fruits by capturing the free radical DPPH. Technical notice n. 127, Embrapa: Fortaleza, p.1â€“4
- SIKDAR, M., DUTTA, U., 2008. Traditional phytotherapy among the people of Assam Nath. Ethno-Med. 2:39-45.
- UNICAMP. Brazilian table food composition. NEPA-UNICAMP. - Version II. - 2. ed. - Campinas, SP: NEPA-UNICAMP, 2006. 113p
- ZAKARIA Z. A., GOPALAN, H. M., ZAINAL, H., MOHD, N. H., MORSID, N. A., ARIS, A., 2006. Antinociceptive, anti-inflammatory and Antipyretic effects of Solanum nigrum Chloroform extract in animals models. Pharma. Soc. Jpn. 126:1171-1178
Cite this Article:
International Journal of Sciences is Open Access Journal.
This article is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY 4.0) License.
Author(s) retain the copyrights of this article, though, publication rights are with Alkhaer Publications.