This study focused on measuring poverty with demographic variables in crude oil and gas polluted crop farms in Rivers State Nigeria. A total of 296 questionnaires were used for analysis. The results showed that extent of poverty (P0) on age of household heads was highest in crude oil polluted crop farms (64.20%) as compared to 53% in non-polluted and 57.80% in all crop farms surveyed. The P0 ratio on gender of household heads indicated that more male headed households were poor (72.20%) in the crude oil polluted crop farms as against 55.30% in non-polluted and 55.80% in all crop farms surveyed. The P0 measure on marital status of household heads in crude oil polluted crop farms was higher (69.10%) as compared to 49.8% in non-polluted and 59.60% in all crop farms surveyed. In conclusion, there was higher level of poverty experienced among crop farmers in crude oil and gas polluted areas in Rivers State, Nigeria.
Household heads poverty, headcount, poverty gap, poverty severity, FGT, demographic variables, crude oil and gas polluted crop farms, Rivers State Nigeria
- Appleton S, 1996. Women â€“ headed households and household welfare: An empirical deconstruction for Uganda. World Development. 24 (12): 1811 â€“ 1827
- Barrientos A, Gorman M & Heslop A, 2003. Old age poverty in developing countries: Contributions and dependence in later life. World Development 31 (3): 555 â€“ 570
- Bello R A, Toyebi G O A, Balogun I O & Akanbo S B, 2009. Poverty alleviation programmes and economic development in Nigeria: A comparative assessment of Asa and Ilorin West Local Govt Areas of Kwara State, Nigeria. African Research Review. 3 (4): 283 â€“ 297
- Bokosi FK, 2007. Household poverty dynamics in Malawi: A bivariate probit analysis Journal of Applied Science. 7(2): 258 â€“ 262. Doi: 10.3923/jas.2007. 258.262
- Chovwen C, Alarape A J & Asagba R B, 2009. The role of psychosocial factors on perceived impact of oil scrambling in the Niger Delta: A communityâ€™s experience. African Research Review. 3 (4) URL: http:/ajol.info/index.php/afrrev/article/view/47565/33942
- Coulombe H & Mckay A, 1996. Modeling determinants of poverty in Mauritania. World Development. 24 (6): 1015 â€“ 1031.
- Duclos J, Araar A & Fortin C, 2002. DAD 4.2: A software for distributive Analysis/Analyse Distributive MIMAP Programme, International Development Research Centre, Govt of Canada and CREFA, Universite Laval, August. Dung EJ, Bombom LS & Agusomu TD, 2008. The effects of gas flaring on crops in the Niger Delta, Nigeria. Geo Journal. 73 (4) 297 â€“ 305. Doi: 10.1007/s10708 â€“ 008 â€“ 9207 â€“ z
- Ekanem SA, Ejue B J, Amini P B & Adalikwu R.A, 2010. Living with oil. Towards an ethics of the environment in the Niger Delta. African Research Review. 4 (3a): 17 â€“ 30
- Ekpoh I J & Obia A E, 2010. The role of gas flaring in the rapid corrosion of zinc roofs in the Niger Delta region of Nigeria. The Environmentalist. 30(4) : 347 â€“ 352. Doi: 10.1007/s10669 - 010 â€“ 9292-7
- Foster J, Greer J & Thorbecke E, 1984. A class of decomposable poverty measures. Econometica. 52: 761 â€“ 766
- Gasparini L, Alejo J, Haimovich F, Oliveri S & Tomarolli L, 2010. Poverty among older people in Latin America and the Caribbean. Journal of International Development. 22 (2): 176 â€“ 207
- McKinley T. & Alarcon D, 1995. The prevalence of rural poverty in Mexico. World Development. 23 (9): 1575 â€“ 1585
- Medeiros M & Costa J, 2008. Is there a feminization of poverty in Latin America? World Development. 36 (1): 115 â€“ 127
- Nkwocha E E & Pat â€“ Mabano E C, 2010. Effect of gas flaring on buildings in the oil producing rural communities of Rivers State, Nigeria. African Research Review. 4 (2): 90 â€“ 102
- Nwaichi E O & Uzazobona M A, 2011. Estimation of the CO2 level due to gas flaring in the Niger Delta. Research Journal of Environmental Sciences. 5 (6): 565 â€“ 572 Doi: 10.3923/rjes.2011.565-572
- Ogunleye O S, 2010. Towards sustainable poverty alleviation in Nigeria. African Research Review. 4 (2): 294 â€“ 302.
- Okoli C G, 2006. Rural households perceptions of the impact of crude oil exploration in Ogba/Egbema/Ndoni Local Govt Area of Rivers State, Nigeria. Journal of Agriculture and Social Research. 6 (2) ; 86 â€“ 91
- Omonona B T, 2001. Poverty and its correlates among rural farming households in Kogi State, Nigeria. Unpublished Ph.D Thesis, Department of Agricultural Economics, University of Ibadan, Ibadan, Nigeria
- Onwuka E C, 2005 Oil extraction, environmental degradation and poverty in the Niger Delta region of Nigeria: A view point. International Journal of Environmental Studies. 62 (6): 655 â€“ 662
- Onyenekenwa C E , 2011. Crippling poverty amidst corporate social action: A critique of peripheral cooperate community involvement in the Niger Delta region of Nigeria. Asian Journal of Rural Development 1(1): 1 â€“ 20 Doi 10.3923/ajrd.2011.1.20
- Osuji L C & Opiah U C, 2007. Hydrocarbon contamination of a terrestrial ecosystem: The case of Oshire â€“ 2 oil spil in Niger Delta, Nigeria. The Environmentalist. 27 (3): 337 â€“ 340. Doi: 10.1007/s 10669 â€“ 007 â€“ 9034 â€“ 7
- Otitoloju A A , Are T & Junaid K A, 2007. Recovery assessment of a refined oil impacted and fire ravaged mangrove ecosystem. Environmental Monitoring and Assessment. 127 ( 1 â€“ 3 ): 353 â€“ 362. Doi: 10:1007/s10661 â€“ 006 â€“ 9285 â€“ 7
- Owuor G, Ngigi M, Ouma A S & Birachi E A , 2007. Determinants of rural poverty in African. The case of small holder farmers in Kenya. Journal of Applied Science. 7 (17): 2539 â€“ 2543. Doi: 10.3923/jas.2007.2539 â€“ 2543
- Platform (Unraveling the carbon Web), 2011. Counting the cost: Corporations and human rights abuses in the Niger Delta. Monday October 03, 2011. Accessed 12 March 2013
- Platform (Unraveling the Carbon Web), 2012. What is the carbon web? Places: Nigeria. Platform May 26, 2012. Accessed 14 March 2013
- Ravallion M, 1992. Poverty Comparisons: A Guide to Concepts and Methods. Living Standards Measurement Studies. Working Paper, No 88, Washington DC World Bank
- Rodriguez A G & Smith S M, 1994. A comparison of determinants of urban, rural and farm poverty in Costa Rica. World Development. 22 (3): 381- 397
- Shaffer P, 1998. Gender, poverty and deprivation: Evidence from the Republic of Guinea. World development. 26 (12): 2119 â€“ 2135
- Ugbomeh B A & Atubi AO, 2010. The role of the oil industry and the Nigeria state in defending the future of the Niger Delta region of Nigeria. Africa Research Review. 4( 2): 103 â€“ 112
- UNEP (United Nation Environmental Programme) Report, 2011. UNEP Ogoniland oil assessment reveals extent of environmental contamination and threats to human health. Untied Nations Environmental Programme. Thursday, August 4, 2011. Accessed 12 March 2013
International Journal of Sciences is Open Access Journal.
This article is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY 4.0) License.
Author(s) retain the copyrights of this article, though, publication rights are with Alkhaer Publications.