Since the emergence of news related to the development of a modified H5N1-virus, a media and political firestorm has ensued. Many global health officials have condemned the publication of the results and methods related to the H5N1 findings, citing obvious threats of bioterrorism. Adamantly opposing the redaction and limitation of the research are members of the scientific community, who are calling the attempts at censorship a blatant disregard for the openness of science and the dissemination of discoveries. Herein, we discuss the fallout of these recent events and their impacts on the scientific and global health communities.
Scientific Censorship, Microbiology, Social Justice
- Becker, G. (2012). The H5N1 publication case and its conclusions. Acta Biochim Pol, 59(3), 441-443
- Bush, L. M., & Perez, M. T. (2012). The Anthrax Attacks 10 Years Later. Annals of Internal Medicine, 156(1_Part_1), 41-44. doi: 10.1059/0003-4819-155-12-201112200-00373
- Enserink, M. (2012). In the Eye of the Storm, Two Rivals, Two Strategies. Science, 335(6064), 21. doi: 10.1126/science.335.6064.21
- Fouchier, R. A. M., GarcÃa-Sastre, A., & Kawaoka, Y. (2012). The Pause on Avian H5N1 Influenza Virus Transmission Research Should Be Ended. mBio, 3(5). doi: 10.1128/mBio.00358-12
- Fukuyama, S., & Kawaoka, Y. (2011). The pathogenesis of influenza virus infections: the contributions of virus and host factors. Current Opinion in Immunology, 23(4), 481-486. doi: 10.1016/j.coi.2011.07.016
- Harris, J. C. (2010). Galileo galilei: Scientist and artist. Archives of General Psychiatry, 67(8), 770-771. doi: 10.1001/archgenpsychiatry.2010.95
- Jacobs, M. K. (2004). The history of biologic warfare and bioterrorism. Dermatologic clinics, 22(3), 231-246
- Oshansky, C. M., Pickens, J. A., Bradley, K. C., Jones, L. P., Saavedra-Ebner, G. M., Barber, J. P. Tripp, R. A. (2011). Avian Influenza Viruses Infect Primary Human Bronchial Epithelial Cells Unconstrained by Sialic Acid Î±2,3 Residues. PLoS ONE, 6(6), e21183. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0021183
- Tang, J. W., Shetty, N., Lam, T. T. Y., & Hon, K. L. E. (2010). Emerging, Novel, and Known Influenza Virus Infections in Humans. Infectious Disease Clinics of North America, 24(3), 603-617. doi: 10.1016/j.idc.2010.04.001
Cite this Article:
International Journal of Sciences is Open Access Journal.
This article is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY 4.0) License.
Author(s) retain the copyrights of this article, though, publication rights are with Alkhaer Publications.