The research focuses on the psychological impact of Vesico-vaginal fistula on reproductive age women in Lautech Teaching Hospital (LTH) Osogbo, Osun state. The research aims at investigating the psychological impact of Vesico-vaginal fistula on reproductive aged women as regards their age; educational status and place of abode. A descriptive research design was adopted for the study. A purposive sampling technique was used to select 53 respondents in the out-patient and gynecological units of LTH, Osogbo. Osun state and a self-designed questionnaire was used to collect data from the respondents. Three null hypotheses were tested using chi-square statistical method at 0.05 level of significance. The first two hypotheses were accepted meaning that there are no significant differences in psychological impact of VVF between young and middle age respondents and between educated and illiterate respondents while the third hypothesis was rejected meaning there is significant difference in psychological impact of VVF between respondents from urban and rural areas. In conclusion, nurses and midwives should be aware of the kind of nursing care that can be given to reduce the identified psychological impact of VVF on reproductive age women.
Psychological, Vesico-vaginal, Reproductive-age, Lautech Teaching Hospital (LTH), Respondents, Nurses, Midwives
- Barbara, K., Glenora, E., Audrey, S. and Shirlee, F. (2004). Fundamentals of Nursing 7th ed. New Jersey: Pearson.
- Eileen, P.K. and Vicki, R.A. (2003). Nursing intervention and clinical skills. 3rd ed. USA: Elsevier.
- Famakinwa, T.T. (2003). A synopsis of medical-surgical Nursing. 2nd ed. Nigeria: Krisbec
- Fraser, D., Cooper, M. and Nolt.A. (2006). Myles textbook for midwives. 14th ed. New York: Churchill living stone.
- Hinchliff, S.A. (2004). Dictionary of Nursing. 24th ed. New York: Churchill living stone.
- Martins, E.F. (2003). Concise medical Dictionary. 6th ed. New York: Oxford University press.
- Newell, P.W. (2005). Nursing and health management. 7th ed. London: Lippincott Williams.
- Russel, R., Williams, N. and Bullstrade J. (2004).Short practice of surgery. 24th ed. U.S.A: Edward Arnold.
- Smeltzer, C.S. and Bare, B.B. (2004). Brunner and Suddaths textbook of medical-surgical
- Nursing. 11th ed. London: Lippincott Williams and Wilkins.
- Taylor, S.B. (2003). Health psychology. 5th ed. Boston: Mcgraw hill.
- Westtine, N. (2004, January 7). Impact of vesico-vaginal fistula.Retrieved from
- Williams, S.D. (2003, January 8). Concept of vesico-vaginal fistula.Retrieved from
- http://www.urology web.Com.
Cite this Article:
International Journal of Sciences is Open Access Journal.
This article is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY 4.0) License.
Author(s) retain the copyrights of this article, though, publication rights are with Alkhaer Publications.