Objective To investigate the role and correlation of Beclin-1 and Bcl-2 in the occurrence and progression of gastric cancer. Methods The expression of Beclin-1 and Bcl-2 in 78 cases of gastric cancer, 30 cases of atypical hyperplasia and 20 cases of chronic non-atrophic gastritis was examined by immunohistochemical staining. Results The positive rate of Beclin-1 in gastric cancer was significantly lower than those in atypical hyperplasia and chronic non-atrophic gastritis(χ2=9.298,7.437, P<0.05), while there was no significant difference between atypical hyperplasia and chronic non-atrophic gastritis (P>0.05). The positive rate of Bcl-2 in gastric cancer was significantly higher than those in atypical hyperplasia and chronic non-atrophic gastritis(χ2=11.013, 15.278, P<0.05), while Bcl-2 expression in atypical hyperplasia showed no significant difference with that in chronic non-atrophic gastritis (P>0.05). The expression of Beclin-1 and Bcl-2 was significantly correlated with differentiation, depth of invasion and TNM staging(χ2=7.014~16.248, P>0.05), but not correlated with sex, age, tumor size, tumor location and metastasis(P>0.05). The expression of Beclin-1 was negatively correlated with Bcl-2 in gastric cancer(r=-0.396, P<0.01). Conclusion Beclin-1 expression was decreased and Bcl-2 expression was increased in gastric cancer. Both were associated with the occurrence and progression of gastric cancer and they were negatively correlated. Beclin-1 and Bcl-2 may be used as important markers to predict the biological behavior of gastric cancer.
gastric cancer, Beclin-1, Bcl-2, autophagy, apoptosis
- DENG ZT, LI YJ, CHENG BB. Research progresses on the relationship between autophagy and apoptosis in tumor [J].Journal of Modern Oncology,2015,10(10):1467-1471.
- KANG R, ZEH H J, LOTZE M T, et al. The Beclin-1 network regulates autophagy and apoptosis. Cell Death Differ[J]. Cell Death & Differentiation, 2011, 18:571-580.
- CAO SS, SU AP, DU XJ, et al. The Expressions and Correlation of Bcl-2 and Beclin-1 in Pancreatic Cancer[J]. Journal of Sichuan University, 2012, 2(2):156-160.
- R Kang, HJ Zeh, MT Lotze, et al. The Beclin-1 network regulates autophagy and apoptosis. Cell Death and Differentiation.(2011)18,571-580.
- YAO Q, CHEN J, LV Y, et al. The significance of expression of autophagy-related gene Beclin1, Bcl-2, and Bax in breast cancer tissues[J]. Tumour Biol, 2011, 32(6): 1163-1171.
- CHEN Y, LU Y, LU C, et al. Beclin-1 Expression is a Predictor of Clinical Outcome in Patients with Esophageal Squamous Cell Carcinoma and Correlated to Hypoxia-Inducible Factor (HIF)-1α Expression[J]. Pathology & Oncology Research, 2009, 15(3):487-493.
- WANG Wenyu, FAN H K, ZHOU Y, et al. Knockdown of autophagy-related gene BECLIN1 promotes cell growth and inhibits apoptosis in the A549 human lung cancer cell line. Molecular Medicine Reports 2013.7:1501-1505.
- HONMA N, HORII R, ITO Y, et al. Differences in clinical importance of Bcl-2 in breast cancer according to hormone receptors status or adjuvant endocrine therapy[J]. Bmc Cancer, 2015, 15:698-709.
- SUN C Y, WANG B L, HU C Q, et al. Expression of the bcl-2 gene and its significance in human pancreatic carcinoma[J]. Hepatobiliary & Pancreatic Diseases International, 2002, 2(2):306-308.
- LI X F, LIU X F, YANG Y Y, et al. Correlation study of Bcl-2, B7-H1, EGFR, VEGF and colorectal cancer[J]. American Journal of Cancer Research, 2015, 5(7):2277-2284.
- KOTSAFTI A, FARINATI F, CARDIN R, et al. Autophagy and apoptosis-related genes in chronic liver disease and hepatocellular carcinoma[J]. BMC gastroenterology, 2012, 12(1): 118-129.
- DU Y, JI X. Bcl-2 down-regulation by small interfering RNA induces Beclin-1-dependent autophagy in human SGC-7901 cells[J]. Cell biology international, 2014, 38(10): 1155-1162.
International Journal of Sciences is Open Access Journal.
This article is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY 4.0) License.
Author(s) retain the copyrights of this article, though, publication rights are with Alkhaer Publications.