Increase in concentration of heavy metals ions in our water bodies is of great concern. This work is aimed at providing an environmental and cost effective adsorbent for the removal of Pb, Ni, Cr and Cd from petrochemical effluent. Termite soil was pretreated and used for the sorption process and process parameters such as contact time and particle size of the adsorbent was varied. Optimum contact time of 60 minutes was obtained for Pb and Cd ions while 40 minutes was obtained for Ni and Cr ions for all particle sizes of adsorbent used. Initial reaction rate H(mg/g.min) was of the order for the different particle sized adsorbent, 75mm: Pb>Cd>Cr>Ni, 212mm: Cd>Pb>Cr>Ni and 300mm: Cd>Pb>Ni>Cr. Pseudo first order kinetics had less difference between experimental and theoretical adsorption capacity (Qa - Qb) with R2 close to that obtained for Pseudo-second order kinetics. Hence it is considered as the kinetic order for the adsorption process. Percentage of the studied ions removed from the wastewater solution shows the suitability of the adsorbent sequestering of heavy metal ions from industrial wastewater.
Batch adsorption, heavy metals, petrochemical effluents, termite hill
- Abia, A.A and Igwe, J.C. (2005).Sorption Kinetics and Intraparticle Diffusivities of Cd, Pb and Zn ions on Maize Cob.African Journal of Biotechnology. 4(6) :509-512.
- Ademiluli, F.T. andUjile, A.A. (2013). Kinetics of Batch Adsorption of Iron II ions fromAqueousSolution Using Activated Carbon from Nigerian Bamboo. International Journal of Engineering and Technology.3(6): 623-629.
- Agbozu, I.E and Emoruwa, F.O. (2014).Batch adsorption of heavy metals (Cu, Pb, Fe, Cr, and Cd) from aqueous solutions using coconut husks.African Journal of Environmental Science and Technology. 8(4): 239-246.
- Ashraf, M.A, Maah M.J, Yusoff, I. and Meshmood ,K. (2010).Effects of polluted water irrigation on Environment and Health of people in Jamber District KasurPaskinstan.International Journal of Basic and Applied Science. 10(3): 37-57.
- Badmus, M.A, Audu, T.O and Anyata, B.U. (2009).Removal of Pb (++) ion from Industrial Wastewater.Turkish Journal of Engineering and Environmental Science.31 (1) :437.
- Bassey, U. Suleiman, M.A.T. Ochigbo, S.S. Ndamitso, M.M. Daniel, E.D. Otolo, S.E. and. Chukwudi, A. (2015). Adsorption Isotherm, Kinetics and Thermodynamics Study of Cr (VI) ions onto Modified Activated Carbon from endocarp of Canariumschweinfurthii. International Research Journal of Pure & Applied Chemistry. 6(1): 46-55.
- Dada, A.O.,Olalekan, A.P Olatunya, A.M and Dada, O. (2012). Langmiur, Frundlich, Tempkin and Dubinin-Radushkevich Isotherm studies of Equilibrium sorption of Zn2+ unto phosphoric acid modified rice husks. Journal of applied chemistry. 3(1) : 38-52
- Dilek, C. and Oznur, U. (2008). Production and Charactization of Activated Carbon from Bituminous Coal by Chemical Activation.African Journal of Biotechnology. 7: 3703-
- El-Ashtoukly, E.S.Z. Amin, N.K. and Abdelwahab, O. (2008). Removal of Lead (II) and copper (II) from aqueous solution using pomegranate peel as a new adsorbent. Desalination, 223(3) :162-173.
- Ertugay, N. and Bayhan,Y.K. (2008). Biosorption of Cr (VI) from aqueous solution by biomass of Agariusbisporus. Journal of Hazardous Material. 154: 432-439.
- European Public Health Alliance. (2009).Air, water pollution and health effects.Retrieved from http://www.epha.org.
- Hameed, B.H Din, A.M. and Ahmad, A.L. (2006). Adsorption of Methylene Blue ontoBamboo Based Activated Carbon: Kinetics and Equilibrium Studies. Hazardous Materials.137(3): 695- 699
- Hamidi, A.A. Mohd, S.Y Mohd, N.A. Nurul, HA. (2013). Physico-chemical Removal of Iron from Semi-aerobic Landfill Leachate by Limestone Filter: Adsorption Science Technology.2(3):53-64
- Itodo, A.U. Abdulrahman, F.W Hassan, L.G. Maigandi, S.A. and Happiness, U.O. (2009). Thermodynamic Equilibrium, Kinetics and Adsorption Mechanism of Industrial Dye Removal by Chemically Modified Poultry Droppings Activated Carbon.Nigerian Journal of Basic and Applied Science. 17(1):38-43.
- Muhammed, B.I and Wahabi, L.O.J. (2011). Remediation of Cr (VI) and Fe (II) from aqueous solution by natural adsorbents. International Journal of Biochemistry and cell biology. 5(3), 915-922.
- Okieimen, F.E. and Wuana, R.A. (2007). Preparation and Characterization of Activated Carbon from Rice Husks. Journal of Chemical Society.32: 126-136.
- Tarawou, T. Horsfall, M. Jnr. and Jose, V. (2007). Adsorption of Methyl Red by Water hyacinth(Eichorniacrassipes), Biomass Chemistry and biodiversity4 :2236-2245.
- Kannan, N. Sundaram, M.M. (2001). Kinetics and mechanism of removal of methylene blue by adsorption on various carbons. – A comparative study. Dyes and Pigments, 51: 25– 40.
- Kurniawan, T.A. Chan, G.Y.S. Lo, W.H. and Babel, S. (2006). Physico-chemical treatment techniques for wastewater laden with heavy metals. Chem. Eng. J. 118: 83-98.
- Nassar, M.M. and El-Geundi, M.S.E.(1994). Studies of the dimensionless mass transfer coefficient during the adsorption of basic and acids dyes onto bagass pith. Adsorption Science Technology. 11:7.
Cite this Article:
International Journal of Sciences is Open Access Journal.
This article is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY 4.0) License.
Author(s) retain the copyrights of this article, though, publication rights are with Alkhaer Publications.