Author(s): Mamadou SADJI, Lat Souk TOUNKARA, Ndèye Fatou NDIAYE, Cheikna ZONGO, Yves TRAORE, Mohamadou Diop SALL, Alfred TRAORE
Canning edible mushrooms using water bath is commonly applied for long-term storage. However, nutrients and bioactive substances can be leached out from mushrooms during the canning process. The objective of this study was to investigate the potential of watermelon juice as alternative to the boiling water bath and as a means of improving the nutritional value of canned mushrooms. Three samples of Pleurotus sajor-caju were canned as follows: the first (CKKwmj) with 150 ml of “Kaolack” watermelon juice, the second (CKLwmj) with 150 ml of “Koloss” watermelon juice and the third (Cwt) “control” with 150 ml of tap water. After sterilization, samples were brought to room temperature for 45 days. Carbohydrate content was increased (6.68 ± 0.03 g /100 g and 6.65 ± 0.05 g /100 g dry weight), respectively in samples from CKKwmj and CKLwmj cans compared with Cwt (6.50 ± 0.04 g /100 g dw). The filling mediums KKwmj and KLwmj were also a source of carbohydrates with respectively 7.05 ± 0.06 g /100 g and 7.22 ± 0.04 g /100g dw. The proteins levels of CKLwmj and CKKwmj were approximately equal to Cwt (3.35 ± 0.03 g/100 g dw). L-citrulline content from CKLwmj (66.34 ± 0.07 mg /100 g dw) was higher than CKKwmj (48.15 ± 0.05 mg/100 g dw) and Cwt (48.06 ± 0.08 mg/100 g dw). In addition, L-citrulline contents of cans filled with KLwmj and KKwmj were respectively 297.5 ± 0.08 mg/100 g dw and 258.5 ± 0.09 mg/100 g dw. Energy content of samples were low, the highest value was observed in mushrooms from CKLwmj (45.11 ± 0.15 Kcal/100 g dw) and was slightly above on the “control” (43.72 ± 0.15 Kcal/100 g dw). This study shows that canning mushrooms with watermelon juice could be a source of minerals (potassium, phosphorus, magnesium).
Mushroom, Canning process, Watermelon juice
- Agrahar-Murugkar D. Subbulakshmi G. Nutritional value of edible wild mushrooms collected from the Khasi hills of Meghalaya. Food Chemistry 89 (2005) 599–603.
- Babu P. Dinesh and Subhasree R.S. The Sacred Mushroom “Reishi”-A Review. American-Eurasian Journal of Botany, 1 (3): 107-110, 2008.
- Badalyan Susanna M. Potential of Mushroom Bioactive Molecules To Develop Healthcare Biotech Products. Proceedings of the 8th International Conference on Mushroom Biology and Mushroom Products (ICMBMP8) 2014.
- Bahri S, Zerrouk N, Aussel C, Moinard C, Crenn P, Curis E, Chaumeil JC, Cynober L, Sfar S. Citrulline: from metabolism to therapeutic use. Nutrition 29: 479-484.2013.
- Barros Lillian, Baptista Paula, Correia Daniela M., Casal Susana, Ferreira Beatriz Oliveira, Isabel C.F.R.. Fatty acid and sugar compositions, and nutritional value of five wild edible mushrooms from Northeast Portugal. Food Chemistry 105 (2007) 140–145.
- Bernaś Emilia, Grazyna Jaworska, Waldemar Kmiecik. Storage and processing of edible mushrooms. Acta Sci. Pol., Technol. Aliment. 5 (2) 2006,5-23.
- Caglarrlmak Necla, Unal Kemal, and Otles Semih. Detrermination of nutritive changes of canned mushrooms (Agaricus bisporus) during storage period. Micologia Applicada International, 13 ( 2), 2001, pp. 97-101.
- Canadian Diabetes Association. Healthy Eating: Reducing salt intake. High Blood Pressure and Diabetes, 2013.
- El-Badry, N, El-Waseif, M. A., Badr, S.A. and Ali, H. E. Effect of Addition Watermelon Rind Powder on the Rheological, Physiochemical and Sensory Quality Attributes of Pan Bread. Middle East Journal of Applied Sciences, 4(4): 1051-1046, 2014.
- FAO/WHO. Interim Summary of Conclusions and Dietary Recommendations on Total Fat & Fatty Acids From the Joint FAO/WHO Expert Consultation on Fats and Fatty Acids in Human Nutrition, November 10-14, 2008, WHO HQ, Geneva.
- Feeney Mary Jo, Dwyer Johanna, Hasler-Lewis Clare M., Milner John A., Noakes Manny, Rowe Sylvia, Wach Mark, Beelman Robert B, Caldwell Joe,. Cantorna Margherita T, Castlebury Lisa A., Chang Shu-Ting, Cheskin Lawrence J., Clemens Roger, Drescher Greg, Fulgoni III Victor L.,. Haytowitz David B, Hubbard, Van S. Law David, Miller Amy Myrdal, Minor Bart, Percival Susan S, Riscuta Gabriela, Schneeman Barbara, Thornsbury Suzanne, Toner Cheryl D., Woteki Catherine E., and Wu Dayong. Mushrooms and Health Summit Proceedings. The Journal of Nutrition, 2014.
- Finimundy Tiane Cristine, Dillon Aldo José Pinheiro, Henriques João Antônio Pêgas, Ely Mariana Roesch. A Review on General Nutritional Compounds and Pharmacological Properties of the Lentinula edodes Mushroom. Food and Nutrition Sciences, 2014, 5, 1095-1105.
- Health Canada. Guidance for the food industry on reducing sodium in processed foods. Bureau of Nutritional Sciences, Food Directorate, Health products and Food Branch, 2012.
- Karaaslan Sevil, Havuz Meltem. Selection and Evaluation of Thin Layer Drying Models for Microwave Drying of Mushroom. Turkish Journal of Agricultural and Natural Sciences Special Issue: 2, 2014.
- Kalmiş Erbil, YIldiz Hasan, Ergönül Bülent, Kalyoncu Fatih, Solak Mehmet Halil. Chemical composition and nutritional value of a wild edible ectomycorrhizal mushroom, Tricholoma anatolicum. Turk J Biol 35 (2011) 627-633.
- Kapica Cathy and Weiss Wendy. Canned Fruits, Vegetables, Beans and Fish Provide Nutrients at a Lower Cost Compared to Fresh, Frozen or Dried. Nutrition & Food Sciences. 2002. Volume 2, Issue 4.
- Khatun Selima, Islam Aminul, Cakilcioglu Ugur and Chatterjee Narayan C. Research on Mushroom as a Potential Source of Nutraceuticals: A Review on Indian Perspective. American Journal of Experimental Agriculture 2(1): 47-73, 2012.
- Kitinoja Lisa and Kader Adel A.. Small-Scale Postharvest Handling Practices: A Manual for Horticultural Crops (4th Edition). July 2002.
- Konuk Muhsin, Afyon Ahmet, and Yağiz Dursun. Chemical composition of some naturally growing and edible mushrooms. Pak. J. Bot., 38(3): 799-804, 2006.
- Lakshmipathy Gopinath, Jayakumar Arunkumar, abhilash Meera and Raj Shantha Prema. Studies on different drying, canning and value addition techniques for mushrooms (Calocybe Indica). African Journal of Food science, Vol.7(10).pp.361-367, October 2013.
- Moinard C, Nicolis I, Neveux N, Darquy S, Bénazeth S, Cynober L. Dose-ranging effects of citrulline administration on plasma amino acids and hormonal patterns in healthy subjects: The Citrudose pharmacokinetic study. Br. J. Nutr. 99: 855-862; 2008.
- Mirunalini S, Dhamodharan G and Deepalakshmi K. Antioxidant potential and current cultivation aspects of an edible milky mushroom-Calocybe indica. International Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences. Vol 4, Issue 1, 2012.
- Obodai Mary, Ferreira Isabel C.F.R., Fernandes Ângela, Barros Lillian,. Mensah Deborah L Narh, Dzomeku Matilda, Urben Arailde Prempeh F, Juanita and Takli Richard K.. Evaluation of the Chemical and Antioxidant Properties of Wild and Cultivated Mushrooms of Ghana. Molecules 2014, 19, 19532-19548.
- Okokon F. B., Ekpenyong E., Nwaukwa1 C., Akpan N., Abam F. I . Impact force of melon seeds during shelling. AgriIntEng : CIGR Journal, vol 12 N 1 March, 2010.
- Perkins-Veazie Penelope, Collins Julie K, Pair Sam D and Roberts Warren. Lycopene content differs among red-fleshed watermelon cultivars. Journal of the Sciencee of Food and Agriculture : 81 :983-987 (online : 2001).
- Reyes De Corcuera Jose I., Cavalieri Ralph P, Powers Joseph R.. Blanching of Foods Encyclopedia of Agricultural, Food, and Biological Engineering, 2004.
- Rickman Joy C, Barrett Diane M and Bruhn Christin e M. Nutritional comparison of fresh, frozen and canned fruits and vegetables. Part 1. Vitamins C and B and phenolic compounds. Journal of the Science of Food and Agriculture. 87:930–944 (2007.
- Rimando AM, Perkins-Veazie PM : Determination of L-citrulline in watermelon rind.J Chromatogr A. 2005 Jun 17;1078(1-2):196-200.
- Schwedhelm E, Maas R, Freese R, Jung D, Lukacs Z, Jambrecina A, Spickler W, Schulze F, Böger RH. Pharmacokinetic and pharmacodynamic properties of oral L-citrulline and L-arginine: impact on nitric oxide metabolism. Br. J. Clin. Pharmacol. 65: 51-59. 2008.
- Silva Sueli Oliveira, Gomes da Costa Sandra Maria and Clemente Edmar. Brazilian Archives of Biology and Technology. Vol 45, N°4:pp.531-535, December 2002.
- Smith John E., Rowan Neil J. & Sullivan Richard. Medicinal mushrooms : a rapidly developing area of biotechnology forcancer therapy and other bioactivities. Biotechnology Letters 24: 1839–1845, 2002.
- Soares Andréia Assunção, Babeto de Sá-Nakanishi Anacharis, Bracht Adelar, Gomes da Costa Sandra Maria, Koehnlein Eloá Angélica, Marques de Souza Cristina Giatti and Peralta Rosane Marina. Hepatoprotective Effects of Mushrooms. Molecules 2013, 18, 7609-7630.
- Tadié J.-M., Guerot E, Delclaux C.. Supplémentation en L-arginine en reanimation. Réanimation (2009)18, 511—517.
- Tarazona-Díaz MP, Alacid F, Carrasco M, Martínez I, Aguayo E. Watermelon juice: potential functional drink for sore muscle relief in athletes. J. Agric. Food Chem. 61:7522-7528. 2013.
- UWHealth. Health facts for you, Guidelines for a low sodium diet. University of Wisconsin Hospitals and Clinics Authority, 2011.
- Valverde María Elena, Hernández-Pérez Talía, and Paredes-López Octavio. Edible Mushrooms: Improving Human Health and Promoting Quality Life. Hindawi Publishing Corporation International Journal of Microbiology Volume 2015.
- Vivar-Quintana A.M., González-San Jose M.L., Collado-Fernández M.. Influence of canning process on colour, weight and grade of mushrooms. Food Chemistry 66 (1999) 87-92.
- Wasser Solomon P., Weis Alexander L.. Medicinal Properties of Substances Occurring in Higher Basidiomycetes Mushrooms: Current Perspectives. International Journal of Medicinal Mushrooms, Vol 1, 47-50, (1999)
Cite this Article:
International Journal of Sciences is Open Access Journal.
This article is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY 4.0) License.
Author(s) retain the copyrights of this article, though, publication rights are with Alkhaer Publications.