Author(s): Jin-Hwan Son, Bo-Ra Kim, Il-Doo Kim, Hye-Ryun Kim, Sanjeev Kumar Dhungana, Yong-Sung Park, Eun-Jung Park
Fruit and vinegar dressings are seasoned mixture usually used as stuffing in foods. Quality characteristics and antioxidant potentials of fruit and vinegar dressings prepared by adding lentil were investigated and compared with those of commercial products. The four dressing samples were named as D-1: fruit dressing purchased from a local store in Daegu, Korea; D-2: grapefruit-sugaring dressing prepared in the present study; D-3: vinegar dressing purchased from the local store in Daegu, Korea; D-4: pineapple-vinegar dressing prepared in the present study. The pH and titratable acidity in all samples ranged from 2.9 to 4.6 and from 0.6 to 1.2%, respectively. The crude protein content was 2.29% for D-2 and 4.03% for D-4, while was not detected in commercial dressing samples, D-1 and D-3. The D-4 sample exhibited the higher levels of Ca (215.40 mg/kg), K (1,105.83 mg/kg), Mg (233.63 mg/kg) and Fe (13.78 mg/kg). The content of total amino acid in D-3 and D-4 samples were 8.269 and 3.419 mg/mL, respectively. The highest content of total phenols (191.13 µg GAE/mL) and DPPH radical scavenging activity (93.69%, Inhibition) were observed in D-4. The results of this study indicated that use of lentil could increase the quality and antioxidant potentials of fruit and vinegar dressings.
antioxidant activity, fruit dressing, lentil, quality characteristics
- AOAC (Association of Official Analytical Chemists). 1990. Official Methods of Analysis of the Association of Official Analytical Chemists. 15th Edition. Arlington, Virginia: AOAC.
- Aysegul K, Mehmet O, Bekir C. 2007. Effects of temperature, solid content and pH on the stability of black carrot anthocyanins. Food Chem. 101: 212-218. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2006.01.019
- Azzurra A, Paola P. 2009 September. Consumers' behaviours and attitudes toward healthy food products: The case of Organic and Functional foods. In 113th Seminar of European Association of Agricultural Economists, Crete, Greece. Retrieved from http://age consearch. umn. edu/bitstream/57661/2/Annunziata. pdf.
- Benavente-Garcı´a O, Castillo J, Marin FR, Ortun˜o A, Del Rı´o JA. 1997. Uses and properties of Citrus flavonoids. J. Agric. Food Chem. 45: 4505-4515. http://dx.doi.org/10.1021/jf970373s
- Boye J, Zare F, Pletch A. 2010. Processing, characterization, functional properties, and applications in food and feed. Food Res. Int. 43: 414–431. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.foodres.2009.09.003
- Brini M, Call T, Ottolini D, Carafoli E. 2013. Intracellular calcium homeostasis and signaling. In: Metallomics and the Cell. Banci L (ed.). Springer Netherlands. http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/978-94-007-5561-1_5
- Chen PE, Geballe MT, Stansfeld P.J.; Johnston, A.R.; Yuan, H.; Jacob, A.L.; Snyder, J.P.; Traynelis SF, Wyllie DJ. 2005. Structural features of the glutamate binding site in recombinant NR1/NR2A N-methyl-D-aspartate receptors determined by site-directed mutagenesis and molecular modeling. Mol. Pharmacol. 67: 1470–1484. http://dx.doi.org/10.1124/mol.104.008185
- Cheung LM, Cheung PCK, Ooi VEC. 2003. Antioxidant activity and total polyphenolics of edible mushroom extracts. Food Chem. 81: 249-255. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/s0308-8146(02)00419-3
- Del Rio D, Rodríguez-Mateos A, Spencer JPE, Tognolini M, Borges G, Crozier A. 2013. Dietary (poly) phenolics in human health: structures, bioavailability, and evidence of protective effects against chronic diseases. Antioxid. Redox Signaling. 18: 1818–1892. http://dx.doi.org/10.1089/ars.2012.4581
- Ejaz S, Ejaz A, Matsuda K, Woong-Lim C. 2006. Limonoids as cancer chemopreventive agents. J. Sci. Food Agric. 86: 339-345. http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/jsfa.2396
- Faris MAIE, Takruri HR, Issa AY. 2013. Role of lentils (Lens culinaris L.) in human health and nutrition: a review. Mediterr. J. Nutr. Metab. 6(1): 3-16. http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s12349-012-0109-8
- Halliwell B. 1996. Antioxidants in human health and disease. Annu. Rev. Nutr. 16: 33–50. http://dx.doi.org/10.1146/annurev.nutr.16.1.33
- Kim MO, Kim ID, Dhungana SK, Lee JW, Shin DH. 2005. Influence of blueberry and black rice powders on quality characteristics of the Korean traditional rice wine, takju. Food Sci. Biotechnol. 24: 439-444. http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s10068-015-0058-3
- Kirma M, AraújoWL, Fernie AR, Galili G. 2012. The multifaceted role of aspartate-family amino acids in plant metabolism. Exp. Bot. 63, 4995–5001. http://dx.doi.org/10.1093/jxb/ers119
- Layman DK, Walker DA. 2006. Potential importance of leucine in treatment of obesity and the metabolic syndrome. Nutrition. 136: 319–323.
- Maimaiti YM, Xia QY, Wu LL, Yin G, Zeng FJ, Yan HL. 2007. Study on desert mulberry from Xinjiang. Chin. J. North Seric. 28: 1–4.
- Maksimovic Z, Malencic D, Kovacevic N. 2005. Polyphenol contents and antioxidant activity of Maydis stigma extracts. Bioresour. Technol. 96:873-877. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.biortech.2004.09.006
- Martín-Cabrejas MA, Aguilera Y, Pedrosa MM, Cuadrado C, Hernández T, Díaz S., et al. 2009. The impact of dehydration process on antinutrients and protein digestibility of some legume flours. Food Chem. 114: 1063–1068. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2008.10.070
- Moure A, Cruz JM, Franco D, Domínguez JM, Sineiro J, Domínguez H et al. 2001. Natural antioxidants from residual sources. Food Chem. 72: 145–171. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/s0308-8146(00)00223-5
- Pohl HR, Wheeler JS, Murray HE. 2013. Sodium and Potassium in Health and Disease. Interrelations between Essential Metal Ions and Human Diseases. pp. 29–47. In: Metal Ions in Life Sciences. Sigel A, Sigel H, Sigel RKO (eds). Springer Netherlands.
- Saris NE, Mervaala E, Karppanen H, Khawaja JA, Lewenstam A. 2000. Magnesium: An update on physiological, clinical and analytical aspects. Clin. Chim. Acta. 294 (1-2): 1–26. PMID 10727669. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/s0009-8981(99)00258-2
- Saura-Calixto F. 2011. Dietary fiber as a carrier of dietary antioxidants: an essential physiological function. J. Agric. Food Chem. 59: 43–49. http://dx.doi.org/10.1021/jf1036596
- Shon MY, Kim TH, Sung NJ. 2003. Antioxidants and free radical scavenging activity of Phellinus baumii (Phellinus of Hymenochaetaceae) extracts. Food Chem. 82: 593–597. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/s0308-8146(03)00015-3
- Singleton V, Orthofer R, Lamuela-Raventos R. 1999. Analysis of total phenols and other oxidation substrates and antioxidants by means of Folin-Ciocalteu Reagent. Vol. 299, pp 152-178. In: Oxidants and Antioxidants. Packer L (ed). Academic Press, New York.
- Skujins S. 1998. Handbook for ICP-AES (Varian-Vista). A short guide to Vista series. ICP-AES Operation. Varian Int. AG, Zug, Switzerland.
- Temple NJ. 2000. Antioxidants and disease: more questions than answers. Nutr. Res. 20: 449–459. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/s0271-5317(00)00138-x
- Thériault M, Caillet S, Kermasha S, Lacroix M. 2006. Antioxidant, antiradical and antimutagenic activities of phenolic compounds present in maple products. Food Chem. 98: 490–501. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2005.05.079
- Urbano G, Porres JM, Frias J, Vidal-Valverde C. 2007. Nutritional value. In: Lentil: an Ancient Crop for Modern Times, pp. 47–94. Yadav DMSS (ed). Dordrecht: Springer.
- Vaz-Patto M, Amarowicz R, Aryee ANA, Boye JI, Chung HJ, Martín-Cabrejas MA, Domoney C. 2015. Achievements and challenges in improving the nutritional quality of food legumes. Crit. Rev. Plant Sci. 34: 105–143. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/07352689.2014.897907
- Wang N, Hatcher DW, Tyler RT, Toews R, Gawalko EJ, et al. 2010. Effect of cooking on the composition of beans (Phaseolus vulgaris L.) and chickpeas (Cicer arietinum L.). Food Res. Int. 43: 589–594. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.foodres.2009.07.012
- Wojdyło A, Oszmia´ nski J. Czemerys R. 2007. Antioxidant activity and phenolic compounds in 32 selected herbs. Food Chem. 105: 940–949. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2007.04.038
Cite this Article:
International Journal of Sciences is Open Access Journal.
This article is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY 4.0) License.
Author(s) retain the copyrights of this article, though, publication rights are with Alkhaer Publications.