Author(s): Kyung-Mi Jung, Sun-Hwa Kim, Eun-Chul Seo, Sanjeev Kumar Dhungana, Il-Doo Kim
Kochujang, hot pepper paste, is a widely consumed Korean traditional food and also makes a typical Korean meal. The objective of the present study was to investigate the quality characteristics of kochujang prepared with salt replacement (SR) as a substitute of ordinary salt (OS) since intake of high sodium is not good for health. Reducing sugar (29.35%) and amino nitrogen (82.6%) contents of SR kochujang were significantly high compared to OS kochujang (24.82 and 68.6%, respectively), however, sodium content was significantly lower in SR kochujang (1292.26 mg/100 g) than in OS kochujang (1568.71 mg/100 g). Free sugars like fructose and glucose contents were also significantly high in SR kochujang. Similarly, antioxidant potentials in terms of DPPH and ABTS were significantly high for SR kochujang (30.13 and 27.31%) compared to OS kochujang (27.05 and 24.72%), respectively. In addition, the score for overall acceptance of SR kochujang (4.81) was higher than that of OS kochujang (3.13). Results of the present study suggested that nutritious kochujang having significantly higher antioxidant potentials and lower sodium content could be prepared using salt replacement as a substitute of ordinary salt.
Kochujang, Peach Jam, Quality Characteristics, Salt Replacement, Sodium
- AOAC. 1984. Official Methods of Analysis, 14th ed. Association of Official Analytical Chemists: Washington, DC.
- Blois MS. 1958. Antioxidant determinations by the use of a stable free radical. Nature. 181: 1199-2000. http://dx.doi.org/10.1038/1811199a0
- Chen Q, Ding J, Cai J, Sun Z, Zhao J. 2012. Simultaneous measurement of total acid content and soluble salt‐free solids content in Chinese vinegar using near‐infrared spectroscopy. Journal of Food Science. 77: C222-C227. http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1750-3841.2011.02549.x
- Cho HO, Kim JG, Lee HJ, Kang JH, Lee TS. 1981. Brewing method and composition of traditional kochujang (red pepper paste) in Junrabook-do area. Journal of Korean Agricultural Chemical Society. 24: 21-28.
- Cho M, Lee HJ, Kang MH, Min H. 2017. Comparison of antioxidant activity and prevention of lymphocyte DNA damage by fruit and vegetable juices marketed in Korea. Journal of Nutrition and Health. 50: 1-9.
- Génard M, Souty M. 1996. Modeling the peach sugar contents in relation to fruit growth. Journal of the American Society for Horticultural Science. 121: 1122-1131. http://dx.doi.org/10.17660/actahortic.1996.416.14
- Ghose TK. 1987. Measurement of cellulose activities. Pure and Applied Chemistry. 59: 257-258. http://dx.doi.org/10.1351/pac198759020257
- Hyun KU, No JD, Lim SI, Cha SK, and Choi SY. 2007. Characteristics and HMG -Co A reductase inhibitory activity of fermented red pepper soybean paste (kochujang) prepared from red-rice and barley. Korean Journal of Microbiology and Biotechnology. 35: 173-176.
- Jeong YJ, Seo JH, Lee GD, Lee MH, Yoon SR. 2000. Changes in quality characteristics of traditional kochujang prepared with apple and persimmon during fermentation. Korean Society of Food Science and Nutrition. 29: 575-581.
- Kim DH, Lee JS. 2001. Effect of condiments on the physicochemical characteristics of traditional kochujang during fermentation. Korean Journal of Food Science and Technology. 33: 353-360.
- Kim DH, Yang SE. 2004. Fermentation characteristics of low salted kochujang prepared with sub-materials. Korean Journal of Food Science and Technology. 36: 97-104.
- Kim DH. 2001. Effect of condiments on the microflora, enzyme activities and taste components of traditional kochujang during fermentation. Korean Journal of Food Science and Technology. 33: 264-270.
- Kim DH. 2005. Fermentation characteristics of low salted kochujang prepared with mixture of sub-materials. Korean Journal of Food Science and Technology. 37: 449-455.
- Kim ID, Lee JW, Kim SJ, Cho JW, Dhungana SK, Lim YS, Shin DH. 2014. Exogenous application of natural extracts of persimmon (Diospyros kaki Thunb.) can help in maintaining nutritional and mineral composition of dried persimmon. African Journal of Biotechnology. 13: 2231-2239. http://dx.doi.org/10.5897/ajb2013.13503
- Kim YS, Kwon DJ, Oh HI, Kang TS. 1994. Comparison of physicochemical characteristics of traditional and commercial kochujang during fermentation. Korean Journal of Food Science and Technology. 26: 12-17.
- Kim YS, Oh BH, Shin DH. 2008. Quality characteristics of kochujang prepared with different meju fermented with Aspergillus sp. and Bacillus subtilis. Food Science and Biotechnology. 3: 527-533.
- Kim YS, Song GS. 2002. Characteristics of fig-added traditional kochujang. Food Science and Biotechnology. 11: 673-679.
- Kwon DY, Chung KR, Yang HJ, Jang DJ. 2015. Gochujang (Korean red pepper paste): a Korean ethnic sauce, its role and history. Journal of Ethnic Foods. 2: 29-35.
- Kwon DY, Jang DJ, Yang HJ, Chung KR. 2014. History of Korean gochu, gochujang, and kimchi. Journal of Ethnic Foods. 1: 3-7.
- Lee HS. 1997. Studies on salt intake through eat-out foods in Andong area. Korean Journal of Society of Food Science. 13: 314-318.
- Lee JH. 2008. Effect of Prunus mume extract on the physicochemical properties of Korean hot pepper-soybean paste. Food Engineering Progress. 12: 128-132.
- Lee KS, Kim DH. 1991. Effect of sake cake on the quality of low salted kochuzang. Korean Journal of Food Science and Technology. 23: 109-115.
- Lee TS. 1979. Studies on the brewing of kochujang (red pepper paste) by the addition of yeasts. Journal of Korean Agricultural Chemical Society. 22: 65-90.
- Meneton P, Jeunemaitre X, de Wardener HE, Macgregor GA. 2005. Links between dietary salt intake, renal salt handling, blood pressure, and cardiovascular diseases. Physiological Reviews. 85: 679-715. http://dx.doi.org/10.1152/physrev.00056.2003
- Moon TW, Kim ZU. 1988. Some chemical physical characteristics and acceptability of kochujang from various starch sources. Journal of the Korean Agricultural Chemical Society. 31: 387-393.
- Oh HI, Shon SH, Kim JM. 2000. Physicochemical properties of kochujang prepared with Aspergillus oryzae, Bacillus licheniformis and Saccharomyces rouxii during fermentation. Journal of Korean Society of Food Science and Nutrition. 29: 357-363.
- Oh JY, Kim YS, Shin DH. 2002. Changes in physicochemical characteristics of low-salted kochujang with natural preservatives during fermentation. Korean Journal of Food Science and Technology. 34: 835-841.
- Oh JY, Kim YS, Shin DH. 2006. Changes in microorganisms, enzyme activities, and gas formation by the addition of mustard powder on kochujang with different salt concentration. Food Science and Biotechnology. 15: 298-302.
- Park SJ, Kim DH. 2007. Effect of combined use of various anti-microbial materials on brewing of low salted kochujang. Journal of Korean Society of Applied Biological Chemistry. 50: 287-294.
- Re R, Pellegrini N, Proteggente A, Pannala A, Yang M, Rice-Evans C. 1999. Antioxidant activity applying an improved ABTS radical cation decolorization assay. Free Radical Biology and Medicine. 26: 1231-1237. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/s0891-5849(98)00315-3
- Seo YE, Bae HS, Kim DH. 2014. Effect of the addition of antimicrobial materials before and after aging on the physicochemical properties of low-salt kochujang during storage. Journal of Applied Biological Chemistry. 57: 287-294.
- Shin DH, Ahn EY, Kim YS, Oh JA. 2000. Fermentation characteristics of kochujang containing horseradish or mustard. Korean Journal of Food Science and Technology. 32. 1350-1357.
- Shin DH, Kim DH, Choi U, Lim MS, An EY. 1997. Physicochemical characteristics of traditional kochujang prepared with various raw materials. Korean Journal of Food Science and Technology. 29: 907-912.
- Shin DH, Kwon DY, Kim YS, Jung DY. 2011. Science and Technology of Gochujang. Bogunedu, Seoul, Korea.
- Shin EK, Lee YK. 2014. Comparison of sodium content of workplace and homemade meals through chemical analysis and salinity measurements. Nutrition Research and Practice. 8: 558-563.
- Yamamoto Y, Higashi K, Yoshii H. 1984. Inhibitory activity of ethanol on food spoilage bacteria. Nippon Shokuhin Kogyo Gakkaishi. 31: 531-535. http://dx.doi.org/10.3136/nskkk1962.31.8_531
Cite this Article:
International Journal of Sciences is Open Access Journal.
This article is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY 4.0) License.
Author(s) retain the copyrights of this article, though, publication rights are with Alkhaer Publications.