Author(s): Kyung-Mi Jung, San-Yeong Kim, Eun-Chul Seo, Hyung-Ill Lee, Oh-Heun Kwon, Hye-Ryun Kim, Sanjeev Kumar Dhungana, Yong-Sung Park, Il-Doo Kim
Many studies have been carried out to enhance the quality characteristics of beer, one of the most famous alcoholic beverages in the world. Objective of the present study was to investigate the quality characteristics and antioxidant potential of beer after addition of peach fruits of two cultivars, Cheonhong and Kanoiwa Hakuto. Chemical characteristics such as pH, titratable acidity and alcohol concentration; color values; 1,1-diphenly-2-picrylhydrazyl (DPPH) radical scavenging activities; total phenolic contents and sensory characteristics of different beer samples were evaluated. The pH value of the control sample (4.09) was significantly (p<0.05) higher than those of the peach beer samples which ranged from 3.81 to 4.00. The alcohol concentration and DPPH radical scavenging potential of peach beer were not significantly (p>0.05) influenced by the addition of the fruits compared to the control sample (4.0%). The total phenolic content and overall acceptability of most of the beer samples were significantly (p<0.05) increased with the addition of the fruits. The results of the present study suggested that quality characteristics and total phenolic content of beer can be enhanced by addition of peach fruits.
Antioxidant Potential, Beer, Overall Acceptance, Peach Fruit
- Ambrosi A, Cardozo NSM, Tessaro IC. (2014). Membrane separation processes for the beer industry: A review and state of the art. Food bioprocess tech., 7: 921-936. http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s11947-014-1275-0
- Amienyo D, Azapagic A. (2016). Life cycle environmental impacts and costs of beer production and consumption in the uk. Int. J. Life Cycle Assess., 21: 492-509. http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s11367-016-1028-6
- Cao S, Song C, Shao J, Bian K, Chen W, Yang Z. (2016). Exogenous melatonin treatment increases chilling tolerance and induces defense response in harvested peach fruit during cold storage. J. Agr. Food Chem., 64: 5215-22. http://dx.doi.org/10.1021/acs.jafc.6b01118
- Cheung LM, Cheung PCK, Ooi VEC. (2003). Antioxidant activity and total phenolics of edible mushroom extracts. Food Chem., 81: 249-255. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S0308-8146(02)00419-3
- Cho J-H, Cho M-G, Cho D-H, Kim I-D, Dhungana SK, Shin D-H. (2015). Addition of ripe persimmon enhanced the antioxidant potential and quality characteristics of persimmon beer. Fruit Sci. Technol. Kor., 1: 6-10.
- de Gaetano G, Costanzo S, Di Castelnuovo A, Badimon L, Bejko D, Alkerwi A, Chiva-Blanch G, Estruch R, La Vecchia C, Panico S, Pounis G, Sofi F, Stranges S, Trevisan M, Ursini F, Cerletti C, Donati MB, Iacoviello L. (2016). Effects of moderate beer consumption on health and disease: A consensus document. Nutr. Metab. Cardiovasc. Dis., 26: 443-467. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.numecd.2016.03.007
- De Keersmaecker J. (1996). The mystery of lambic beer. Sci. Am., 275: 74-80.
- Dhakal R, Bajpai VK, Baek KH. (2012). Production of gaba (γ-aminobutyric acid) by microorganisms: A review. Braz. J. Microbiol., 43: 1230-1241. http://dx.doi.org/10.1590/S1517-83822012000400001
- Fedora B, Fedora L. (2014). The foodie's beer book: The art of pairing and cooking with beer for any occasion. Skyhorse Publishing, Inc., New York.
- Hager AS, Taylor JP, Waters DM, Arendt EK. (2014). Gluten free beer–A review. Trends Food Sci. Technol., 36: 44-54. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tifs.2014.01.001
- Jabalpurwala FA, Smoot JM, Rouseff RL. (2009). A comparison of Citrus blossom volatiles. Phytochemistry, 70 (11-12), 1428-1434. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.phytochem.2009.07.031
- Jackson M. (1994). Michael Jackson’s Beer Companion, Duncan Baird Publishers, London.
- Kim MO, Kim ID, Dhungana SK, Lee JW, Shin DH. (2015). Influence of blueberry and black rice powders on quality characteristics of the korean traditional rice wine takju. Food Sci. Biotechnol., 24: 439-444. http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s10068-015-0058-3.
- Krogsgaard-Larsen P. (1989). Gaba receptors. Receptor pharmacology and function, 349-383.
- Luo J, Butelli E, Hill L, Parr A, Niggeweg R, Bailey P, Weisshaar B, Martin C. (2008). Atmyb12 regulates caffeoyl quinic acid and flavonol synthesis in tomato: Expression in fruit results in very high levels of both types of polyphenol. Plant J., 56: 316-326. http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-313X.2008.03597.x
- Manzoor M, Anwar F, Mahmood Z, Rashid U, Ashraf M. (2012). Variation in minerals, phenolics and antioxidant activity of peel and pulp of different varieties of peach (prunus persica l.) fruit from pakistan. Molecules, 17: 6491-6506. http://dx.doi.org/10.3390/molecules17066507
- Mody I, De Koninck Y, Otis TS, Soltesz I. (1994). Bridging the cleft at gaba synapses in the brain. Trends Neurosci., 17: 517-525. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/0166-2236(94)90155-4
- Mojet J, Christ-Hazelhof E, Heidema J. (2001). Taste perception with age: Generic or specific losses in threshold sensitivity to the five basic tastes? Chem. Senses, 26: 845-860.
- Nikmaram N, Dar BN, Roohinejad S, Koubaa M, Barba FJ, Greiner R, Johnson SK. (2017). Recent advances in γ-aminobutyric acid (gaba) properties in pulses: An overview. J. Sci. Food Agric., 97: 2681-2689. http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/jsfa.8283
- Oh CH, Oh SH. (2004). Effects of germinated brown rice extracts with enhanced levels of gaba on cancer cell proliferation and apoptosis. J. Med. Food, 7: 19-23. http://dx.doi.org/10.1089/109662004322984653
- Ough CS, Amerine MA. (1988). Methods for analysis of musts and wines. 2nd ed. John Wiley and Sons, New York.
- Park C-S, Lee T-S. (2002). Quality characteristics of takju prepared by wheat flour nuruks. Korean J. Food Sci. Technol., 34: 296-302.
- Pires E, Brányik T. (2015). Biochemistry of beer fermentation. Springer International Publishing, AG Switzerland. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-15189-2
- Procopio S, Krause D, Hofmann T, Becker T. (2013). Significant amino acids in aroma compound profiling during yeast fermentation analyzed by pls regression. Lebensm. Wiss. Technol., 51: 423-432. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.lwt.2012.11.022
- Samara R, Hunter DM, Stobbs LW, Greig N, Lowery DT, Delury NC. (2017). Impact of Plum pox virus (PPV-D) infection on peach tree growth, productivity and bud cold hardiness. Can. J. Plant Pathol. 39: 218‒228. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/07060661.2017.1336489
- Schiffman SS. (2007). Critical illness and changes in sensory perception. Proc. Nutr. Soc., 66: 331-345. http://dx.doi.org/10.1017/S0029665107005599
- Singleton VL, Orthofer R, Lamuela-Raventós RM. (1998). Analysis of total phenols and other oxidation substrates and antioxidants by means of folin-ciocalteu reagent. Methods Enzymol., 299: 152-178. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S0076-6879(99)99017-1
- Tsantili E, Shin Y, Nock JF, Watkins CB. (2010). Antioxidant concentrations during chilling injury development in peaches. Postharvest Biol. Technol., 57: 27-34. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.postharvbio.2010.02.002
- Yang Z, Ma Y, Chen L, Xie R, Zhang X, Zhang B, Lu M, Wu S, Gilissen LJWJ, van Ree R, Gao Z. (2011). Differential transcript abundance and genotypic variation of four putative allergen-encoding gene families in melting peach. Tree Genet. Genom., 7: 903-916. http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s11295-011-0383-5
Cite this Article:
International Journal of Sciences is Open Access Journal.
This article is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY 4.0) License.
Author(s) retain the copyrights of this article, though, publication rights are with Alkhaer Publications.