Author(s): Kil-Su Jang, Chan-Yong Kim, Oh-Hun Kwon, Jung-Bae Kwon, Sanjeev Kumar Dhungana, Yong-Sung Park, Hyeon-Min Do, Hye-Ryun Kim, Jin-Hwan Son, Il-Doo Kim
Download Full PDF
Read Complete Article
Volume 6 - Aug 2017
Spices and herbs also known as seasonings are increasingly cherished not only for their culinary properties but also for their potential health benefits. Objective of the present study was to evaluate the physicochemical properties of seasonings containing different concentrations of pepper seed powder. Addition of hot pepper seed powder to the seasonings enhanced the color values and antioxidant potentials. The antioxidant activity, as 1,1-diphenyl-2-picrylhydrazyl (DPPH), of seasonings increased by up to 13.42%. Total phenolics content was also increased by 75.43% with the addition of 15% pepper seed powder. Although some of the amino acid contents were found to be reduced while others were increased, results of this study suggest that addition of hot pepper seed powder to the seasonings could impart better physicochemical properties as well as enhance the antioxidant potential.
DPPH, Culinary, Physicochemical Property, Polyphenol, Spice
- Aggarwal BB, Ahmad N, Mukhtar H. 2002. Spices as potent antioxidants with therapeutic potential. In E. Cadenas and L. Packer, eds. Handbook of Antioxidants. CRC Press, Los Angeles, USA.
- Blois MS. 1958. Antioxidant determinations by the use of a stable free radical. Nature. 181: 1199‒1200. http://dx.doi.org/10.1038/1811199a0
- Chi SP, Wu YC. 2007. Spices and seasonings. In F. Toldrá, ed. Handbook of Fermented Meat and Poultry. Blackwell Publishing, Iowa, USA. 87p.
- Choi YJ, Kim IS, Lee KW, Kim GB, Lee NG, Cho YJ. 1996. Available components of cooking drips, dark muscle, head and raw viscera from skipjack. Korean Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences. 29: 701‒708.
- Ekeanyanwu RC. 2013. Evaluation of the crude protein and amino acid composition of Nigerian Monodora myristica (Ehuru). Pakistan Journal of Nutrition. 12: 219‒223. http://dx.doi.org/10.3923/pjn.2013.219.223
- Ernst E, Pittler MH. 2000. Efficacy of ginger for nausea and vomiting: a systematic review of randomized clinical trials. British Journal of Anaesthesia. 84: 367‒371. http://dx.doi.org/10.1093/oxfordjournals.bja.a013442
- Francis FJ, Markakis PC. 1989. Food colorants: Anthocyanins. Critical Reviews in Food Science and Nutrition. 28: 273‒314. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/10408398909527503
- Je JY, Park PJ, Jung WK, Kim SK. 2005. Amino acid changes in fermented oyster (Crassostrea gigas) sauce with diﬀerent fermentation periods. Food Chemistry. 91: 15‒18. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2004.05.061
- Jeon G, Choi Y, Lee SM, Kim Y, Jeong HS, Lee J. 2010. Anti-obesity activity of methanol extract from hot pepper (Capsicum annuum L.) seeds in 3T3-L1 adipocyte. Food Science and Biotechnology. 19: 1123‒1127. http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s10068-010-0160-5
- Jeon G, Choi Y, LEE SM, Kim Y, Oh M, JEONG HS, Lee J. 2012. Antioxidant and antiproliferative properties of hot pepper (Capsicum annuum L.) seeds. Journal of Food Biochemistry. 36: 595‒603. http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1745-4514.2011.00571.x
- Kedage V, Tilak J, Dixit G, Devasagayam T, Mhatre M. 2007. A study of antioxidant properties of some varieties of pepper seeds (Vitis vinifera L.). Critical Reviews in Food Science and Nutrition. 47: 175‒185. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/10408390600634598
- Lobo V, Patil A, Phatak A, Chandra N. 2010. Free radicals, antioxidants and functional foods: Impact on human health. Pharmacognosy Reviews. 4: 118‒126. http://dx.doi.org/10.4103/0973-7847.70902
- Naidu KA, Thippeswamy NB. 2002. Inhibition of human low density lipoprotein oxidation by active principles from spices. Molecular and Cellular Biochemistry. 229: 19‒23. http://dx.doi.org/10.1023/a:1017930708099
- Paur I, Carlsen MH, Halvorsen BL, Blomhoff R. 2011. Antioxidants in herbs and spices: Roles in oxidative stress and redox signaling. In I. F.F. Benzie, and S. Wachtel-Galor, eds. Herbal Medicine: Biomolecular and Clinical Aspects. CRS Press, Boca Raton, USA.
- Ruggiero A, Vitalini S, Burlini N, Bernasconi S, Iriti M. 2013. Phytosterols in grapes and wine, and effects of agrochemicals on their levels. Food Chemistry. 141: 3473‒3479. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2013.05.153
- Shan B, Cai YZ, Sun M, Corke H. 2005. Antioxidant capacity of 26 spice extracts and characterization of their phenolic constituents. Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry. 53: 7749‒7759. http://dx.doi.org/10.1021/jf051513y
- Shyu YS, Hwang LS. 2002. Antioxidant activity of the crude extract of crude extract of lignan glycosides from unroasted Burma black sesame meal. Food Research International. 35: 357‒365. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/s0963-9969(01)00130-2
- Son JH, Kim ID, Kim MO, Gaveh EA, Shin DH. 2013. Quality characteristics of rice inoculated with Inonotus obliquus mycelia and incubated under different cultivating conditions. African Journal of Biotechnology. 12: 5131‒5139. http://dx.doi.org/10.5897/ajb12.2387
- Srinivasan K, Sambaiah K, Chandrasekhara N. 2004. Spices as beneficial hypolipidaemic food adjuncts: A review. Food Reviews International. 20: 187‒220. http://dx.doi.org/10.1081/fri-120037160
- Vitalini S, Gardana C, Simonetti P, Fico G, Iriti M. 2013. Melatonin, melatonin isomers and stilbenes in Italian traditional pepper seed products and their antiradical capacity. Journal of Pineal Research. 54: 322‒333. http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/jpi.12028
- Young IS, Woodside JV. 2001. Antioxidants in health and disease. Journal of Clinical Pathology. 54: 176‒186. http://dx.doi.org/10.1136/jcp.54.3.176
- Zheng W, Wang SY. 2001. Antioxidant activity and phenolic compounds in selected herbs. Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry. 49: 5165‒5170. http://dx.doi.org/10.1021/jf010697n
- Zou Y, Ma K, Tian M. 2015. Chemical composition and nutritive value of hot pepper seed (Capsicum annuum) grown in northeast region of China. Food Science and Technology. (Campinas). 35: 659‒663. http://dx.doi.org/10.1590/1678-457x.6803
Cite this Article:
International Journal of Sciences is Open Access Journal.
This article is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY 4.0) License.
Author(s) retain the copyrights of this article, though, publication rights are with Alkhaer Publications.