Author(s): N.A. Amenaghawon, S.O. Areguamen, N.T. Agbroko, S.E. Ogbeide, C.O. Okieimen
This study investigated the production of citric acid from solid state fermentation of treated sugarcane bagasse using Aspergillus niger. Response surface methodology (RSM) was employed for the optimisation of fermentation conditions namely broth pH, fermentation time and substrate loading. A three-variable, three-level Box-Behnken design (BBD) comprising 15 experimental runs was used to develop a statistical model for the optimisation of fermentation conditions. The optimal fermentation conditions that resulted in the maximum citric acid concentration were broth pH, 2.0; fermentation time, 6 days and substrate loading, 80 g/L. Under these conditions, the concentration of citric acid produced was 18.63 g/L. Validation of the model indicated no difference between predicted and observed values as seen in the high correlation between model predicted results and experimental results.
Citric acid, solid state fermentation, Box-Behnken design, Sugarcane bagasse
- Amenaghawon, N.A. & Aisien, F.A. Modelling and Simulation of Citric Acid Production from Corn Starch Hydrolysate Using Aspergillus Niger. Environ Nat Resour Res, 2(1), 2012. pp.73â€“85
- Kumar, A. & Jain, V.K. Solid state fermentation studies of citric acid production. Afr J Biotechnol, 7(5), 2010. pp.644â€“650
- Baei, M.S., Mahmoudi, M. & Yunesi, H. A kinetic model for citric acid production from apple pomac by Aspergillus niger. Afr J Biotechnol, 7(19), 2008. pp.3487â€“3489
- Assadi, M.M. & Nikkhah, M. Production of citric acid from date pulp by solid state fermentation. J Agr Sci Technol, 4(3), 2002. p.119
- Alvarez-Vasquez, F., Gonzalez-Alco, C. & Torres, N.V. Metabolism of citric acid production by Aspergillus niger: Model definition, steady-state analysis and constrained optimization of citric acid production rate. Biotechnol Bioeng, 70,2000. pp.82â€“108
- Pazouki, M., Felse, P.A., Sinha, J. & Panda, T. Comparative studies on citric acid production by Aspergillus niger and Candida lipolytica using molasses and glucose. Bioprocess Eng, 22, 2000. pp.353â€“361
- Vandenberghe, L.P.S, Soccol, C.R, Pandey, A. & Lebeault, J.M. Solid-state fermentation for the synthesis of citric acid by Aspergillus niger. Bioresource Technol, 74, 2000. pp.175â€“178
- Imandi, S.B., Bandaru, V.V.R., Somalanka, S.R., Bandaru, S.R. & Garapati, H.R. Application of statistical experimental designs for the optimization of medium constituents for the production of citric acid from pineapple waste. Bioresource Technol, 99(10), 2008. pp.4445â€“4450
- Max, B., Salgado, J. M., RodrÃguez, N., CortÃ©s, S., Converti, A., & DomÃnguez, J. M. Biotechnological production of citric acid. Braz J Microbiol, 41(4), 2010. pp. 862-875
- Khuri, A.I. & Cornell, J.A. Response Surfaces: Design and Analysis, New York: Marcel Dekker, 1987
- Montgomery, D.C.,. Design and Analysis of experiments 6th ed., New York: John Wiley & Sons, Inc., 2005
- Anupama, M.P., Mahesh, D.G. & Ayyanna, C. Optimization of fermentation medium for the production of Ethanol from jaggery using box-behnken design. Int J Appl Biol Pharm Technol, 1(1), 2010. pp.34â€“45
- Fang, H., Zhao, C. & Song, X. Optimization of enzymatic hydrolysis of steam-exploded corn stover by two approaches: Response surface methodology or using cellulase from mixed cultures of Trichoderma reesei RUT-C30 and Aspergillus niger NL02. Bioresource Technol, 101, 2010. pp. 4111â€“4119
- Tian, S., Wang, Z., Fan, Z. & Zuo, L. Optimization of CO2 laser-based pretreatment of corn stover using response surface methodology. Bioresource Technol, 102, 2011. pp.10493â€“10497
- Marier, J.R. & Boulet, M. Direct Determination of Citric Acid in Milk with an Improved Pyridine-Acetic Anhydride Method. J Dairy Sci, 41(12), 1958. pp. 1683â€“1692
- Lotfy, W.A. Ghanem, K.M, El-Helow, E.R. Citric acid production by a novel Aspergillus niger isolate: II. Optimization of process parameters through statistical experimental designs. Bioresource technology. 98(18), 2007. pp. 3470â€“3477
- Kim, J.K. Optimization of Citric Acid Production by Aspergillus Niger NRRL 567 in Various Fermentation Systems. PhD Thesis. Quebec, Canada: McGill University. 2004.
-  Mason, R.L., Gunst, R.F. & Hess, J.L. Statistical Design & Analysis of Experiments, New York: Wiley. 1989
- Cao, G., Ren, N., Wang, A., Lee, D.J., Guo, W., Liu, B., Feng, Y. & Zhao, Q. Acid hydrolysis of corn stover for biohydrogen production using Thermoanaerobacterium thermosaccharolyticum W16. Int J Hydrogen Energy, 34, 2009. pp.7182â€“7188
- Gupta, J.K., Heding, L.G. & Jorgensen, O.B. Effect of sugars, hydrogen ion concentration and ammonium nitrate on the formation of citric acid by Aspergillus niger. Acta Microbiologica Academiae Scientiarum Hungaricae, 23(1), 1976. p.63
- Hossain, M., Brooks, J.D. & Maddox, I.S. The effect of the sugar source on citric acid production by Aspergillus niger. Appl Microbiol Biotechnol, 19(6), 1984. pp.393â€“397
- Xu, D.B., Madrid, C.P., Rohr, M. & Kubicek, C.P. The influence of type and concentration of the carbon source on production of citric acid by Aspergillus niger. Appl Microbiol Biotechnol, 30(6), 1989. pp.553â€“558
Cite this Article:
International Journal of Sciences is Open Access Journal.
This article is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY 4.0) License.
Author(s) retain the copyrights of this article, though, publication rights are with Alkhaer Publications.