Author(s): Young-Joon Choi, Sanjeev Kumar Dhungana, Il-Doo Kim
Download Full PDF
Read Complete Article
Volume 7 - Jul 2018
Takju, also known as makgeolli, is a famous traditional alcoholic beverage in Korea. Various studies on the effect of raw materials on the quality of takju have been carried out. This study aimed to investigate the influence of Opuntia humifusa powder on the quality of takju. Chemical characteristics, color value, antioxidant potential as well as sensory characteristics were considered for the quality evaluation. Addition of the powder improved the functional as well as organoleptic properties of takju. The optimum proportion of O. humifusa powder to be added for having better impact was 0.5% (w/v). Results of this study suggested that O. humifusa could enhance the antioxidant potential as well as overall acceptance of Korean traditional rice wine, takju.
antioxidant potential, Korean traditional wine, Opuntia humifusa, overall acceptance
- Bae SH, Jung EY, Kim SY, Shin KS, Suh HJ. 2003. Antioxidant and immuno-modulating activities of Korean traditional rice wine, takju. J. Food Biochem. 34: 233–248.
- Cheung LM, Cheung PCK, Ooi VEC. 2003. Antioxidant activity and total polyphenolics of edible mushroom extracts. Food Chem. 81: 249–255.
- Cho EK, Kim HY, Byeon HJ, Kim SW, Choi YJ. 2010. Nitrite scavenging and alcohol metabolizing activities of hot water extract from Makgeoly and its angiotensin converting enzyme inhibitory effect. J. Life Sci. 20: 768–774.
- Choi JS, Seo HJ, Lee YR, Kwon SJ, Moon SH, Park SM, Sohn JH. 2014. Characteristics and in vitro anti-diabetic properties of the Korean rice wine, makgeolli fermented with Laminaria japonica. Prev. Nutr. Food Sci. 19: 98–107.
- Hahm SW, Park J, Son YS. 2010. Opuntia humifusa partitioned extracts inhibit the growth of U87MG human glioblastoma cells. Plant Foods Hum. Nutr. 65: 247–252.
- Hahm SW, Park J, Son YS. 2011. Opuntia humifusa stems lower blood glucose and cholesterol levels in streptozotocin-induced diabetic rats. Nutr. Res. 31: 479–487.
- Han EH, Lee TS, Noh BS, Lee DS. 1997. Quality characteristics of mash of Takju prepared by using different Nuruk during fermentation. Korean J. Food Sci. Technol. 29: 555–562.
- Han IH, Lee K, Byoun KE. 2007. The antioxidant activity of Korean cactus (Opuntia humifusa) and the quality characteristics of cookies with cactus powder added. Korean J. Food Cook. Sci. 23: 443–451.
- Kim E, Chang YH, Ko JY, Jeong Y. 2013a. Physicochemical and microbial properties of the Korean traditional rice wine, Makgeolli, supplemented with Banana during fermentation. Prev. Nutr. Food Sci. 18: 203-209.
- Kim E, Chang YH, Ko JY, Jeong Y. 2013b. Physicochemical and microbial properties of Korean traditional rice wine, Makgeolli, supplemented with mulberry during fermentation. J. Korean Soc. Food Sci. Nutr. 42: 1682–1689.
- Kim ID, Lee JW, Kim SJ, Cho JW, Dhungana SK, Lim YS, Shin DH. 2013. Exogenous application of natural extracts of persimmon (Diospyros kaki Thunb.) can help in maintaining nutritional and mineral composition of dried persimmon. Afr. J. Biotechnol. 13:2231–2239.
- Kim JH, Lee DH, Chio SY, Lee JS. 2002. Characterization of physiological functionalities in Korean traditional liquors. Korean J. Food Sci. Technol. 34: 118–122.
- Kim JH, Lee DH, Lee SH, Choi SY, Lee JS. 2004. Effect of Ganoderma lucidum on the quality and functionality of Korean traditional rice wine, yakju. J. Biosci. Bioeng. 97: 24–28.
- Kim JH, Lee SH, Kim NM, Choi SY, Yoo JY, Lee JS. 2000. Manufacture and physiological functionality of Korean traditional liquors by using dandelion (Taraxacum platycarpum). Korean J. Biotechnol. Bioeng. 28: 367–371.
- Kim MO, Kim ID, Dhungana SK, Lee JW, Shin DH. 2015. Influence of blueberry and black rice powders on quality characteristics of the Korean traditional rice wine, Takju. Food Sci. Biotechnol. 24: 439–444.
- Lee DH, Kim JH, Kim NM, Lee JS. 2002b. Manufacture and physiological functionality of Korean traditional liquors by using chamomile (Matricaria chamomile). Korean J. Food Sci. Technol. 34: 109–113.
- Lee DH, Kim JH, Kim NM, Pack JS, Lee JS. 2002c. Manufacture and physiological functionality of Korean traditional liquor by using Paecilomyces japonica. Korean J. Mycol. 30: 141–146.
- Lee JS, Lee TS, Noh BS, Park SO. 1996. Quality characteristics of mash of takju prepared by different raw materials. Korean J. Food Sci. Technol. 28: 330–336.
- Lee SS, Kim KS, Eom AH, Sung CK, Hong IP. 2002a. Production of Korean traditional rice-wines made from cultures of the single fungal isolates under laboratory conditions. Korean J. Mycol. 30: 61–65.
- Muntana N, Prasong S. 2010. Study on total phenolic contents and their antioxidant activities of Thai white, red and black rice bran extracts. Pakistan J. Biol. Sci. 13: 170–174.
- Official Methods of the National Tax Service. 2006. National Rural Resources Development Institute. Food composition table. Rural Development Administration, Seoul, Korea. pp. 353–370.
- Ough CS, Amerine MA. 1988. Methods for Analysis of Musts and Wines. 2nd ed. John Wiley and Sons, New York, NY, USA. pp. 80–107.
- Park CS, Lee TS. 2002. Quality characteristics of takju prepared by wheat flour nuruks. Korean J. Food Sci. Technol. 34: 296–302.
- Seo SB, Kim JH, Kim NM, Choi SY, Lee JS. 2002. Effect of Acasia flower on the physiological functionality of Korean traditional rice wine. Korean J. Microbiol. Biotechnol. 30: 410–414.
- Singleton V, Orthofer R, Lamuela-Raventos R. Analysis of total phenols and other oxidation substrates and antioxidants by means of Folin-Ciocalteu reagent. Vol. 299, pp 152–178. In: Oxidants and Antioxidants. Packer L (ed). Academic Press, New York, NY, USA.
- Song JC, Park HJ. 2003. Takju brewing using the uncooked germed brown rice at second stage mash. J. Korean Soc. Food Sci. Nutr. 32: 847–854.
- Yoon JA, Hahm SW, Park JE, Son YS. 2009. Total polyphenol and flavonoid of fruit extract of Opuntia humifusa and its inhibitory effect on the growth of MCF-7 human breast cancer cells. J. Korean Soc. Food Sci. Nutr. 38: 1679–1684.
Cite this Article:
International Journal of Sciences is Open Access Journal.
This article is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY 4.0) License.
Author(s) retain the copyrights of this article, though, publication rights are with Alkhaer Publications.