The main purpose of this paper is to determine factors influencing local people's participation in a sustainable forest management in Pathoumphone Production Forest area in Champasak province, Lao PDR. In order to assess these factors, we had chosen 12 target group representatives: household representatives, village authorities, international aid agencies, central and local government agencies (Champasak Provincial Office for Agriculture and Forestry Office and District Office for Agriculture and Forestry Office). Household and village representatives are from Beuangko village, NamOm village, Nongbeuang village, Chongroy villages, and Phaosamphan village. Purposive Sampling was used to achieved the aim of this study. The analysis found that the factors that influenced villagers to participate in the sustainable forest product management consists of three main factors: economic factor, social factor, and other external factors with related to the project’s activities on the forest product management while providing knowledge to local people was also important. Policies should be reformed in order to strengthen village committees and they can be self-managed and benefits-sharing mechanism should be established in order to improve the participation of local villagers in the Production forest management.
Participation, People, Production Forest, Champasak, Lao PDR
- Berkmüller, K., Southammakoth, S., & Vongphet, V. 1995. Protected area system planning and management in Lao PDR: status report to mid-1995. Lao-Swedish Forestry Cooperation Programme and IUCN. Vientiane.
- Coulibaly-Lingani, P., Savadogo, P., Tigabu, M., & Oden, P.-C. 2011. Factors influencing people's participation in the forest management program in Burkina Faso, West Africa. Forest Policy and Economics, 13(4), 292-302. doi:https://doi.org/10.1016/j.forpol.2011.02.005
- DOF. 2005. Forestry Strategies of Laos to year 2020. Department of Forestry. Vientiane, Laos.
- DOF. 2007. Forestry sector development report for 2006-2007. Department of Forestry, Ministry of Agriculture and Forestry. Vientiane, Lao PDR.
- DOF. 2015. Scaling Up Participatory Sustainable Forest Management (SUPSFM, alternative acronym: SUFORD-SU. Department of Forestry. Vientiane, Laos.
- MAF. 2011. Forest Investment Program (FIP): Lao Investment Plan. Ministry of Agriculture and Forestry. Vientiane Capital.
- Robichaud, W., Marsh, C. W., Southammakoth, S., & Khounthikoummane, S. 2001. Review of the national protected area system in Lao PDR. Vientiane, Lao PDR: Lao-Swedish Forestry Programme, Department of Forestry.
- Sanonty, S. 2002. Forest policy reviews in Lao PDR. In T. Enters & R. N. Leslie (Eds.), Forest policies and forest policies reviews (pp. 113). Bangkok, Thailand: EC-FAO partnership programme.
- World Bank, SIDA, Ministry of Foreign Affairs, & Governement of Finland. 2001. Lao PDR production forestry policy: status and issues for dialogue. (Vol. I). Vientiane, Laos: World Bank, Sida, Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Government of Finland.
- Yin, R. K. 2009. Case Study Research: Design and Methods. SAGE Publications. Retrieved from https://books.google.la/books?id=FzawIAdilHkC
Cite this Article:
International Journal of Sciences is Open Access Journal.
This article is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY 4.0) License.
Author(s) retain the copyrights of this article, though, publication rights are with Alkhaer Publications.