Author(s): R. Bastos, M.J. R. Paranhos da Costa, J. Antunes-Rodrigues
The aim of this study was analyze the diurnal rhythm of plasma oxytocin (OT) concentration in lactating buffalo cows during autumn and spring. Data were obtained from 10 females in May (autumn) and 10 females in September (spring) at 3-h intervals for 3 consecutive days. Cosinor and spectral analyses showed that, in autumn, 30-40% of the animals showed a significant 24-h rhythm of plasma OT concentration, whereas in spring the animals did not present a diurnal rhythm of plasma OT concentration. The majority of the acrophases for OT in autumn occurred at early morning and morning while in spring it was distributed along the day. Our study shows that diurnal rhythm of plasma OT concentration was more evident in some animals in the autumn that in the spring, what may suggest that photoperiod among others factors can influence in this response.
hormone, bubalus bubalis, cosinor method, spectral analysis
- Amico JA, Challinor, SM, Cameron, JL. (1990) Pattern of oxytocin concentrations in the plasma and cerebrospinal fluid of lactating Rhesus monkeys (Macaca mulatta): evidence for functionally independent oxytocinergic pathways in primates. J Clin End Metab, 71:1531-1535
- Amico JA, Mantella RC, Vollmer RR, Li X. (2004) Anxiety and stress responses in female oxytocin deficient mice. J Neuroendocrinol, 16(4):319-324
- Antunes-Rodrigues J, De Castro M, Elias LL, Valenca, MM, Mccann, SM. (2004) Neuroendocrine control of body fluid metabolism. Physiol Rev, 84:169-208
- Argiolas A, Melis, MR. (2004) The role of oxytocin and the paraventricular nucleus in the sexual behaviour of male mammals. Physiol Behav, 83(2):309-317, 2004
- Burbach JPH, Young LJ, Russell JA. (2006) Oxytocin: synthesis, Secretion,and Reproductive Functions. In: Neill JD. (Ed.). Knobil and Neillâ€™s Physiology of Reproduction. Third Edition. New York, USA: Elsevier Inc. pp 3055-3128
- Caligioni, CS, Franci, CR. (2002) Oxytocin secretion induced by osmotic stimulation in rats during the estrous cycle and after ovariectomy and hormone replacement therapy. Life Sci, 71(24):2821-2831
- Csaki A, Kocsis K, Halasz B, Kiss J. (2000) Localization of glutamatergic/aspartatergic neurons projecting to the hypothalamic paraventricular nucleus studied by retrograde transport of [3H]- -aspartate autoradiography. Neuroscience, 101: 637-655
- Csaki A, Kocsis, K, Kiss, J, Halasz B. (2002) Localization of putative glutamateric/aspartatergic neurons projecting to the supraoptic nucleus area of the rat hypothalamus. Eur J Neurosci, 16:1-18
- Devarajan K, Rusak B. (2004) Oxytocin levels in the plasma and cerebrospinal fluid of male rats: effects of circadian phase light and stress. Neurosci Lett, 367(2): 144-147.
- Forsling ML. (2000) Diurnal rhythms in neurohypophysial function. Exp Physiol, 85:179S-186S
- Gies U, Theodosis DT. (1994) Synaptic plasticity in the rat supraoptic nucleus during lactation involves GABA innervation and oxytocin neurons: a quantitative immunocytochemical analysis. J Neurosci, 14:2861-2869
- Goldman BD. (2001) Mammalian photoperiodic system: formal properties and neuroendocrine mechanisms of photoperiodic time measurement. J Biol Rhythms, 16(4):283-301
- Halberg F, Carandente F, CornÃ©lissen FG, Katinas, GS. (1977) Glossary of chronobiology. Chronobiologia, 4:1-189.
- Lee HJ, Macbeth AH, Pagani JH, Young WS. (2009) Oxytocin: the great facilitator of life. Prog Neurobiol, 88(2):126-151
- Leng G, Brown CH., Russel JA. (1999) Physiological pathways regulating the activity of magnocellular neurosecretory cells. Prog Neurobiol, 57: 625-655
- Leng G, Meddle SL, Douglas AJ. (2008) Oxytocin and the maternal brain. Curr Opin in Pharmacol, 8(6):731-734
- Malpaux B. (2006) Seasonal regulation of reproduction in mammals. In: Neill JD (Ed.) Knobil and Neillâ€™s Physiology of Reproduction. Third Edition. New York, USA: Elsevier Inc. pp 2231-2281
- Nelson W, Tong LY, Lee, JK, Halberg, F. (1979) Methods for cosinor-rhythmometry. Chronobiologia, 6:305-323
- Roy KS, Prakash BS. (2007) Seasonal variation and circadian rhythmicity of the prolactin profile the summer moths in repeat-breding Murrah buffalo heifers. Reprod Fertil Dev, 19(4):569-575
- Slattery DA, Neumann ID. (2010) Chronic icv oxytocin attenuates the pathological high anxiety state of selectively bred Wistar rats. Neuropharmacology, 58(1):56-61
- Tousson E, Meissl H. (2004) Suprachiasmatic nuclei grafts restore the circadian rhythm in the paraventricular nucleus of the hypothalamus. J Neurosci, 24(12):2983-2988
- UvnÃ¤s-Moberg, K, Johansson B, Lupoli B, Svennersten-Sjaunja K. (2001) Oxytocin facilitates behavioural, metabolic and physiological adaptations during lactation. Appl Anim Behav Sci, 72:225-234
- Wathes DC, Ayad VJ, Kumari M, Matthews EL, Wathes CM. (1992) A comparison of plasma vasopressin and oxytocin concentrations during the oestrous cycle of the ewe. J Endocrinol, 134:107-113
- Wathes DC, Gilbert CL, Ayad, VJ. (1993) Interactions between oxytocin, the ovaries, and the reproductive tract in the regulation of fertility in the ewe. Ann N Y Acad Sci, 2:396-410
- Williams GL, Gazal OS, Leshin LS, Stanko RL, Anderson LL. (2001) Physiological regulation of maternal behavior in heifers: role of genital stimulation, intracellular oxytocin release and ovarian steroids. Biol Reprod, 65:295-300
Cite this Article:
International Journal of Sciences is Open Access Journal.
This article is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY 4.0) License.
Author(s) retain the copyrights of this article, though, publication rights are with Alkhaer Publications.