Author(s): Myung-Gu Lee, Byong-Hee Chun, Sanjeev Kumar Dhungana, Jae-Jung Park, Il-Doo Kim
Rice germ is a part of the rice kernel, and has been a matter of wide interest for food scientists and nutritionists because of its nutraceutical properties. The objective of this study was to investigate the physical and sensory characteristics and antioxidant properties of rice containing rice germs that were exposed to different heat treatments for 20 or 30 min. The thermal treatments significantly influenced the moisture content, color, antioxidant potential, and sensory characteristics of the rice. The antioxidant potential measured through DPPH free radical scavenging potential and total polyphenol content of the autoclaved rice sample was significantly lower than the other samples. Also, acceptability of the autoclaved sample was decreased as compared to the other samples. This study showed that greater antioxidative potential with higher acceptability of rice-germ rice could be obtained by mixing rice and water (10°C) at a 60:90 ratio followed by heat treatment (100°C) for 30 min.
Antioxidant Potential, Heat Treatments, Quality Characteristics, Rice Germ
- Ali BH, Al–Salam S, Al Za'abi M, Al Balushi KA, AlMahruqi AS, Beegam S, Al‐Lawatia I, Waly MI, Nemmar A. 2015. Renoprotective effects of gamma‐aminobutyric acid on cisplatin‐induced acute renal injury in rats. Basic & Clinical Pharmacology & Toxicology. 116(1): 62–68.
- AOAC. 1990. Official Methods of Analysis of the Association of Official Analytical Chemists. 15th ed. Association of Official Analytical Chemists; Arlington, VA, USA.
- Bhatnagar AS, Prabhakar DS, Kumar PP, Rajan RR, Krishna AG. 2014. Processing of commercial rice bran for the production of fat and nutraceutical rich rice brokens, rice germ and pure bran. LWT-Food Science and Technology. 58(1): 306–311. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.lwt.2014.03.011
- Chen Z, Xie J, Hu MY, Tang J, Shao ZF, Li MH. 2015. Protective effects of γ-aminobutyric acid (GABA) on the small intestinal mucosa in heat-stressed Wenchang chicken. Journal of Animal and Plant Sciences. 25: 78–87.
- Chen Z, Xie J, Wang B, Tang J. 2014. Effect of γ-aminobutyric acid on digestive enzymes, absorption function, and immune function of intestinal mucosa in heat-stressed chicken. Poultry Science. 93(10): 2490–2500.
- Cheung LM, Cheung PC, Ooi VE. 2003. Antioxidant activity and total phenolics of edible mushroom extracts. Food Chemistry. 81(2): 249–255. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0308-8146(02)00419-3
- Chmiel T, Saputro IE, Kusznierewicz B, Bartoszek A. 2018. The impact of cooking method on the phenolic composition, total antioxidant activity and starch digestibility of rice (Oryza sativa L.). Journal of Food Processing and Preservation. 42(1): e13383. https://doi.org/10.1111/jfpp.13383
- Cho KM, Lee JH, Yun HD, Ahn BY, Kim H, Seo WT. 2011. Changes of phytochemical constituents (isoflavones, flavanols, and phenolic acids) during cheonggukjang soybeans fermentation using potential probiotics Bacillus subtilis CS90. Journal of Food Composition and Analysis. 24: 402–410. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jfca.2010.12.015
- Cho YR, Chang JY, Chang HC. 2007. Production of gamma-aminobutyric acid (GABA) by Lactobacillus buchneri isolated from kimchi and its neuroprotective effect on neuronal cells. Journal of Microbiology and Biotechnology. 17(1): 104–109.
- Creed PG. 1998. A Study of the Sensory Characteristics of Food produced by the Sous Vide system: the measure of pleasure (Doctoral dissertation, Bournemouth University).
- Crowhurst DG, Creed PG. 2001. Effect of cooking method and variety on the sensory quality of rice. Food Service Technology. 1(3): 133–140.
- Dhungana SK, Kim BR, Son JH, Kim HR, Shin DH. 2015. Comparative study of CaMsrB2 gene containing drought‐tolerant transgenic rice (Oryza sativa L.) and non‐transgenic counterpart. Journal of Agronomy and Crop Science. 201(1): 10–16. Dhungana SK, Kim ID, Kwak HS, Shin DH. 2016. Unraveling the effect of structurally different classes of insecticide on germination and early plant growth of soybean [Glycine max (L.) Merr.]. Pesticide Biochemistry and Physiology. 130: 39–43.
- Han D, Kim HY, Lee HJ, Shim I, Hahm DH. 2007. Wound healing activity of gamma-aminobutyric acid (GABA) in rats. 2007. Journal of Microbiology and Biotechnology. 17(10): 1661–1669.
- Hirotsune M, Haratake A, Komiya A, Sugita J, Tachihara T, Komai T, Hizume K, Ozeki K, Ikemoto T. 2005. Effect of ingested concentrate and components of sake on epidermal permeability barrier disruption by UVB irradiation. Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry. 53(4): 948–952.
- Hori A, Hara T, Honma K, Joh T. 2008. Suppressive effect of γ-aminobutyric acid (GABA) on histamine release in rat basophilic RBL-2H3 cells. Bulletin of the Faculty of Agriculture, Niigata University. 61: 47–51.
- Huang Q, Liu C, Wang C, Hu Y, Qiu L, Xu P. 2011. Neurotransmitter γ-aminobutyric acid-mediated inhibition of the invasive ability of cholangiocarcinoma cells. Oncology Letters. 2(3): 519–523.
- Jang EK, Kim NY, Ahn HJ, Ji GE. 2015. γ-Aminobutyric acid (GABA) production and angiotensin-I converting enzyme (ACE) inhibitory activity of fermented soybean containing sea tangle by the co-culture of Lactobacillus brevis with Aspergillus oryzae. Journal of Microbiology and Biotechnology. 25(8): 1315–1320.
- Jastrzebski Z, Leontowicz H, Leontowicz M, Namiesnik J, Zachwieja Z, Barton H, Pawelzik E, Arancibia-Avila P, Toledo F, Gorinstein S. 2007. The bioactivity of processed garlic (Allium sativum L.) as shown in vitro and in vivo studies on rats. Food and Chemical Toxicology. 45: 1626–1633
- Jinakot I, Jirapakkul W. 2019. Volatile aroma compounds in Jasmine rice as affected by degrees of milling. Journal of Nutritional Science and Vitaminology. 65: S231–S234.
- Juliano BO. 1985. Rice: Chemistry and Technology. American Association of Cereal Chemists, pp. 144–148, St. Paul, MN.
- Kawabata K, Tanaka T, Murakami T, Okada T, Murai H, Yamamoto T, Hara A, Shimizu M, Yamada Y, Matsunaga K, Kuno T. 1999. Dietary prevention of azoxymethane-induced colon carcinogenesis with rice-germ in F344 rats. Carcinogenesis. 20(11): 2109–2115.
- Kawasaki A, Hara T, Joh T. 2014. Inhibitory effect of γ-aminobutyric acid (GABA) on histamine release from rat basophilic leukemia RBL-2H3 cells and rat peritoneal exudate cells. Nippon Shokuhin Kagaku Kogaku Kaishi. 61: 362–366.
- Kim ID, Lee JW, Kim SJ, Cho JW, Dhungana SK, Lim YS, Shin DH. 2014. Exogenous application of natural extracts of persimmon (Diospyros kaki Thunb.) can help in maintaining nutritional and mineral composition of dried persimmon. African Journal of Biotechnology. 13: 2231–2239. Kim IH, Kim CJ, You JM, Lee KW, Kim CT, Chung SH, Tae BS. 2002. Effect of roasting temperature and time on the chemical composition of rice germ oil. Journal of the American Oil Chemists' Society. 79(5): 413–418.
- Kim JK, Kim YS, Lee HM, Jin HS, Neupane C, Kim S, Lee SH, Min JJ, Sasai M, Jeong JH, Choe SK. 2018. GABAergic signaling linked to autophagy enhances host protection against intracellular bacterial infections. Nature Communications. 9(1): 1–7.
- Kim M-O, Kim I-D, Dhungana SK, Lee J-W, Shin D-H. 2015. Influence of blueberry and black rice powders on quality characteristics of the Korean traditional rice wine Takju. Food Science and Biotechnology. 24: 439–444.
- Kim S, Jo K, Hong KB, Han SH, Suh HJ. 2019. GABA and L-theanine mixture decreases sleep latency and improves NREM sleep. Pharmaceutical Biology. 57(1): 64–72.
- Lee BJ, Senevirathne M, Kim JS, Kim YM, Lee MS, Jeong MH, Kang YM, Kim JI, Nam BH, Ahn CB, Je JY. 2010. Protective effect of fermented sea tangle against ethanol and carbon tetrachloride-induced hepatic damage in Sprague–Dawley rats. Food and Chemical Toxicology. 48(4): 1123–1128.
- Liu W, Son DO, Lau HK, Zhou Y, Prud’homme GJ, Jin T, Wang Q. 2017. Combined oral administration of GABA and DPP-4 inhibitor prevents beta cell damage and promotes beta cell regeneration in mice. Frontiers in Pharmacology. 8: 362.
- Mabunga DFN, Gonzales ELT, Kim HJ, Choung SY. 2015. Treatment of GABA from fermented rice germ ameliorates caffeine-induced sleep disturbance in mice. Biomolecules & Therapeutics (Seoul). 23: 268–274.
- Mau JL, Chiou SY, Hsu CA, Tsai HL, Lin SD. 2012. Antimutagenic and antimicrobial activities of γ-aminobutyric acid (Gaba) tea extract. In International Conference on Nutrition and Food Science. 39: 178–182.
- McGovern PE, Zhang J, Tang J, Zhang Z, Hall GR, Moreau RA, Nuñez A, Butrym ED, Richards MP, Wang CS, Cheng G. 2004. Fermented beverages of pre-and proto-historic China. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences. 101(51): 17593–17598. Mori H, Kawabata K, Yoshimi N, Tanaka T, Murakami T, Okada T, Murai H. 1999. Chemopreventive effects of ferulic acid on oral and rice germ on large bowel carcinogenesis. Anticancer Research. 19(5A): 3775–3778.
- Oh SH, Soh JR, Cha YS. 2003. Germinated brown rice extract shows a nutraceutical effect in the recovery of chronic alcohol-related symptoms. Journal of Medicinal Food. 6: 115–121.
- Okada T, Sugishita T, Murakami T, Murai H, Saikusa T, Horino T, Onoda A, Kajimoto O, Takahashi R, Takahashi T. 2000. Effect of the defatted rice germ enriched with GABA for sleeplessness, depression, autonomic disorder by oral administration. Journal of the Japanese Society for Food Science and Technology. 47(8): 596–603.
- Osada Y, Shibamoto T. 2006. Antioxidative activity of volatile extracts from Maillard model system. Food Chemistry. 98: 522–528.
- Prud’homme G, Glinka Y, Wang Q. 2013. GABA exerts anti-inflammatory and immunosuppressive effects (P5175). The Journal of Immunology. 190:68.
- Rohrer CA, Siebenmorgen TJ. 2004. Nutraceutical concentrations within the bran of various rice kernel thickness fractions. Biosystems Engineering. 88(4): 453–460.
- Sasaki S, Tohda C, Kim M, Yokozawa T. 2007. Gamma-aminobutyric acid specifically inhibits progression of tubular fibrosis and atrophy in nephrectomized rats. Biological and Pharmaceutical Bulletin. 30: 687–691.
- Schuller HM, Al-Wadei HA, Majidi M. 2008. Gamma-aminobutyric acid, a potential tumor suppressor for small airway-derived lung adenocarcinoma. Carcinogenesis. 29(10): 1979–85.
- Shimada K, Fujikawa K, Yahara K, Nakamura T. 1992. Antioxidative properties of xanthan on the autoxidation of soybean oil in cyclodextrin emulsion. Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry. 40(6): 945–948.
- Shizuka F, Kido Y, Nakazawa T, Kitajima H, Aizawa C, Kayamura H, Ichijo N. 2004. Antihypertensive effect of γ-amino butyric acid enriched soy products in spontaneously hypertensive rats. Biofactors. 22(1–4): 165–167.
- Singleton VL, Orthofer R, Lamuela-Raventos RM. 1999. Analysis of total phenols and other oxidation substrates and antioxidants by means of folin-ciocalteu reagent. Methods in Enzymology. 299: 152–178.
- Tang X, Yu R, Zhou Q, Jiang S, Le G. 2018. Protective effects of γ-aminobutyric acid against H2O2-induced oxidative stress in RIN-m5F pancreatic cells. Nutrition & Metabolism. 15(1): 1–9.
- Tung YT, Lee BH, Liu CF, Pan TM. 2011. Optimization of culture condition for ACEI and GABA production by lactic acid bacteria. Journal of Food Science. 76(9): M585–M591.
- Untereiner A, Abdo S, Bhattacharjee A, Gohil H, Pourasgari F, Ibeh N, Lai M, Batchuluun B, Wong A, Khuu N, Liu Y. 2019. GABA promotes β-cell proliferation, but does not overcome impaired glucose homeostasis associated with diet-induced obesity. The FASEB Journal. 33(3): 3968–3984.
- Wilson TA, Nicolosi RJ, Woolfrey B, Kritchevsky D. 2007. Rice bran oil and oryzanol reduce plasma lipid and lipoprotein cholesterol concentrations and aortic cholesterol ester accumulation to a greater extent than ferulic acid in hypercholesterolemic hamsters. The Journal of Nutritional Biochemistry. 18: 105–112.
- Yamatsu A, Yamashita Y, Pandharipande T, Maru I, Kim M. 2016. Effect of oral γ-aminobutyric acid (GABA) administration on sleep and its absorption in humans. Food Science and Biotechnology. 25(2): 547–551.
- Yoto A, Murao S, Motoki M, Yokoyama Y, Horie N, Takeshima K, Masuda K, Kim M, Yokogoshi H. 2012. Oral intake of γ-aminobutyric acid affects mood and activities of central nervous system during stressed condition induced by mental tasks. Amino Acids. 43(3): 1331–1337. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00726-011-1206-6
- Yu S, Nehus ZT, Badger TM, Fang N. 2007. Quantification of vitamin E and γ-oryzanol components in rice germ and bran. Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry. 55(18): 7308–7313. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf071957p
- Zhang H, Yao HY, Chen F. 2006. Accumulation of gamma-aminobutyric acid in rice germ using protease. Bioscience, Biotechnology, and Biochemistry. 70: 1160–1165. https://doi.org/10.1271/bbb.70.1160
- Zhu Z, Shi Z, Xie C, Gong W, Hu Z, Peng Y. 2019. A novel mechanism of Gamma-aminobutyric acid (GABA) protecting human umbilical vein endothelial cells (HUVECs) against H2O2-induced oxidative injury. Comparative Biochemistry and Physiology Part C: Toxicology & Pharmacology. 217: 68–75. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cbpc.2018.11.018
Cite this Article:
International Journal of Sciences is Open Access Journal.
This article is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY 4.0) License.
Author(s) retain the copyrights of this article, though, publication rights are with Alkhaer Publications.