The aim of this study was to evaluate of the density for four weeds on growth inhibition against soybean (Glycine max) (Chiang Mai 2 variety). The experiment were interfered with four weeds namely wild poinsettia (Euphorbia heterophylla), eclipta (Eclipta prostrata), slender amaranth (Amaranthus viridis) and spiny amaranth (Amaranthus spinosus) against soybean (G. max). The number of four weeds interfered with soybean planting divided into five treatments; 0 (control treatment) 4 8 12 and 16 plants/m2. Stem height, leaf area, fresh weight of aboveground part and dry weight of aboveground part of soybean were measured at 28 days after planting. The results showed that the increase of number of four weeds resulted in the increase of inhibition of all growth performance in soybean. The planting of soybean interfered with the weeds for 16 plants/m2 exhibited that the maximum of inhibitory degree (52.61%) followed by the planting of soybean interfered with the weeds for 12 8 and 4 plants/m2 by 40.04, 25.94 and 13.08%, respectively. The planting of soybean interfered with spiny amaranth (A. spinosus) exhibited that the highest of inhibitory degree (35.41%), followed by the planting of soybean interfered with eclipta (E. prostrata), wild poinsettia (E. heterophylla) and slender amaranth (A. viridis) showed the inhibitory degree for 34.35, 31.65 and 30.27%, respectively. This result presented the effects of density of weeds against soybean on growth parameters (stem height, leaf area, fresh weight of aboveground part and dry weight of aboveground part) as well as suggested that the planting of soybean should be the planting of soybean were not interfered with different weed density in order to the minimization of weed competition as well as the optimum method for weed arrangement.
Weed interference, Growth performances, Soybean (Glycine max), Weed competition, Weed Density, Types of Weed
- Adeluis, A. A., G. T. Odufeko and A. M. Makinde. 2006. Interference of Euphorbia heterophylla L. on the growth and reproductive yield of soybean (Glycine max (L.) Merill. Res. J. Bot. 1: 85-94.
- Agostinetto, D., D. R. O. Silva and L. Vargas. 2017. Soybean yield loss and economic thresholds due to ghyphosate resistant hairy fleabane interference. Arq. Inst. Biol. 84 :1-8.
- Aluko, O. A., D. Chikoye and M. A. K. Smith. 2012. Effects of tillage plant spacing and soybean genotypes on speargass (Imperata cylindrica L.) reauschel suppression. Afr. J. Agric. Res. 7 :1068-1072.
- Amaregouda, A., J. Jadhav., M. B. Chetti and Nawalagatti. 2013. Effect of weedicides on physiological parameters growth and yield components of soybean (Glycine max L.) and weed growth. Journal of Agriculture and Allied Sciences. 2 :12-15.
- AOSA. 2002. Seed Vigor Testing Handbook. Association of Official Seed Analysts. No.32.
- Belel, M. D., M. S. Saidu and A. A. Sajo. 2011. Effect of land preparation and weeding regime on the yield of sweet pepper (Capsicum annuum L.) in Mubi, Adamawa State. Journal of Agronomy. 10 :62-67.
- Bukun, B. 2011. Influence of redroot pigweed (Amaranthus retroflexus) density and biomass om peanut (Arachis hypogoea) yield. Afr. J. Biotechnol. 10 :19542-19546.
- Chauhan, B. S. 2011. Crownfootgrass (Dactyloctenium aegyptium) germination and response to herbicides in Philippines. Weed Science. 59: 512-516.
- Das, T. K., A. K. Paul and N. T. Yaduraju. 2014. Density-effect and economic threshold of purple nutsedge (Cyperus rotundus) in soybean. J. Pest Sci. 87:211-220.
- Dhaker, S. C., S. L. Mundra and V. Nepalia. 2010. Effect of weed management and sulphur nutrition on productivity of soybean (Glycine max (L.) Merrill). Indian J. Weed Sci. 42 :232-234.
- Du, L., X. Li., J. Chen., X. Jiang., Q. Ju., C. Qu and M. Qu. 2019. Density effect and economic threshold of purple nutsedge (Cyperus rotundus L.) in peanut (Arachis hypogaea L.). International Journal of Plant Peoduction. 13:309-316.
- El-Gizawy., N. K. B., A. M. Fadlallah., A. M. Hassanein and I. E. Soliman. 2012. Estimation of the critical period for weed control in soybean (Glycine max L.) as influenced by plant density. J. Plant Production. 3 :2375-2394.
- Ferdous, J., M. H. Ali., M. S. Islam., I. F. Chowdhury., M. N. Haque and S. M. masum. 2017. Growth and yield of soybean as affected by irrigation and weed control methods. Bangladesh J. Weed Sci. 6 :17-26.
- Fickett, N. D., C. M. Boerboom and D. E. Stoltenberg. 2013. Soybean yield loss potential associated with early-season weed competition across 64 site-years. Weed Science. 61 :500-507.
- Galon, L., C. T. Forte., R. L. Gabiatti., L. L. Radunz., I. Aspiazu., R. Kujawinski., F. A. David., C. T. Castoldi., G. F. Perin., A. L. Radunz and J. Rossetti. 2016. Interference and economic threshold level for control of beggartick on bean cultivars. Planta Daninha, Vicosa-Mg. 34 :411-422.
- Hazra, D., T. K. Das and N. T. Yaduraju. 2011. Interference and economic threshold of horse purslane (Trianthema portulacastrum) in soybean cultivation in Northern India. Weed Biology and Management. 11 :72-82.
- Imoloame, E. O. 2014. The effects of different weed control methods on weed infestation growth and yield of soybean (Glycine max ( L.) Merril) in the Southern Guinea Savanna of Nigeria. Agrosearch. 14 :1299-143.
- Jeschke, M. R., D. E. Stoltenberg., G. O. Kegode and C. L. Sprague. 2011. Predicted soybean yield loss as affected by emegence time of mixed species weed communities. Weed Science. 59 :416-423.
- Jordan, D. L., S. H. Lancaster., J. E. Lanier., B. R. Lassiter and P. D. Johnson. 2009. Peanut and eclipta (Eclipta prostrata) response to flumioxazin. Weed Technology. 23: 231-235.
- Kavurmaci, Z., U. Karadavut., K. Kokten and A. Bakoglu. 2010. Determining critical period of weed-crop competition in faba bean (Vicia faba). Int. J. Agric. Biol. 12 :318-320.
- Keramati, S., H. Pirdashti., M. A. Esmaili., A. Abbasian and M. Habibi. 2008. The critical period of weed control in soybean (Glycine max (L.) Merr.) in North of Iran conditions. Pak. J. Biol. Sci. 11:463-467.
- Korres, N. K., J. K. Norsworthy., A. Mauromoustakos and M. M. Williams. 2020. Soybean density and palmer amaranth (Amaranthus palmeri) establishment time : effects on weed biology crop yield and economic returns. Weed Science. 41:1-9.
- Lamptey, S., S. Yeboah., K. Sakodie and A. Berdjour. 2014. Growth and yield pesponse of soybean under different weeding regimes. Asian Journal of Agriculture and Food Sciences. 3:155-163.
- Matsuo, N., T. Yamada., Y. Takada., K. Furami and M. Hajika. 2018. Effect of plant density on growth and yield of new soybean genotypes grown under early planting condition in Southwestern Japan. Plant Production Science. 21:16-25.
- Mishra, J. S. and V. P. Singh. 2003. Interference of Euphorbia geniculata in soybean-chickpea cropping system. Ind. J. Weed Sci. 35: 225-227.
- Omoigui, L. O., A. Y. Kamara., M. F. Ishiyaku and O. Boukar. 2012. Comparative responses of cowpea breeding lines to Striga and Alectra in the dry savanna of Northeast Nigeria. Afr. J. Agric. Res. 7:747-754.
- Pagnoncelli, F. D. B., M. Trezzi., B. Brun and R. A. Vidal. 2017. Morning glory species interference on the development and yield of soybean. Bragatia. 76:1-11.
- Peer, F. A., B. Hassan., B. A. Lone., S. Quyoom., L. Ahmed., B. A. Khanday., P. Ssingh and G. Singh. 2013. Effect of weed control methods on yield and yield attributes of soybean. African Journal of Agrcultural Research. 8:6135-6141.
- Reis, A. R. and R. Vivian. 2011. Weed competition in the soybean crop management in Brazil. p. 185-210. In Soybean-Applications and Technology. Brazil.
- Rezvani, M., M. Ahangari and F. Zaefarian. 2012. Effect of cultivar and weeding regimes on soybean yields. World Academy of Science, Engineering and Technology. 69: 509-511.
- Shrestha, A., B. D. Hanson., M. W. Fidelibus and M. Alcorta. 2010. Growth phenology and intraspecific competition between glyphosate-resistant and glyphosate-susceptible horseweeds (Conyza canadensis) in the San Jaoquin of California. Weed Science. 58:147-153.
- Silva, D. R. S., L. Vargas., D. Agostinetto and F. Mariani. 2014. Glyphosate-resistant hairy fleabane competition in RR soybean. Bragantia, Campinas. 73:451-457.
- Trezzi, M. M., J. A. A. Balbinot., G. Benin., F. Debastani., F. Patel and J. E. Miotto. 2013. Competitive ability of soybean cultivars with horseweed (Conyza banariensis). Planta Daninha, Viscosa-MG. 31:543.550.
- Tyagi, P. K., S. P. Singh and T. S. Dudwe. 2011. Weed flora of soybean (Glycine max (L.) Merrill) in different blocks of Tikamgarh district of Madhya Pradesh. The Journal of Rural and Agricultural Research. 11: 28-30.
- Vollmann, J., H. Wagentristl and W. Hartl. 2010. The effects of simulated weed pressure on early maturity soybean. European Journal of Agronomy. 32:243-248.
Cite this Article:
International Journal of Sciences is Open Access Journal.
This article is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY 4.0) License.
Author(s) retain the copyrights of this article, though, publication rights are with Alkhaer Publications.