The sauce is a type of seasoning prepared in a liquid, semiliquid, or creamy form that blends various raw materials and makes it well suited to food, but the color, flavor, and texture vary depending on the composition of the ingredients. Due to the increasing eating out habit, consumption of Western-style diet has become more common in Korea. The objective of this study was to analyze the physicochemical and antioxidant potential of four commercial sauces. The pH value of oyster sauce (OSS) was significantly higher than the other three sauces, sweet chilli sauce (SCS), honey mustard sauce (HMS), and pork cutlet sauce (PCS). The soluble solid content was significantly highest in SCS and lowest in OSS. The lightness, redness, and yellowness values were in the order of SCS>HMS>PCS>OSS. The DPPH and superoxide anion scavenging potential were highest in SCS and HMS, respectively. However, the total flavonoid and polyphenol contents were significantly highest in PCS. The APX was significantly high in HMS followed by OSS. The other enzyme activities SOD, CAT, and PPO were significantly highest in OSS. Two sauces SCS and PCS had intermediate antioxidant enzymatic activities. Commercial sauces may vary in the physicochemical and antioxidant potential that could be considered while selecting them for consumption.
Antioxidant Potential, Honey Mustard Sauce, Oyster Sauce, Physicochemical Property, Pork Cutlet Sauce, Sweet Chilli Sauce
- Blois MS. 1958. Antioxidant determinations by the use of a stable free radical. Nature. 181(4617):1199–1200.
- Cho K-H, Kang SA. 2015. Effects quality characteristics and development of global sauce using traditional Gochujang. Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society. 16(11):8089–95.
- Dhungana SK, Kim B-R, Son J-H, Kim H-R, Shin D-H. 2015. Comparative study of CaMsrB2 gene containing drought-tolerant transgenic rice (Oryza sativa L.) and non-transgenic counterpart. Journal of Agronomy and Crop Science. 201(1):10–16.
- Francis FJ, Markakis PC. 1989. Food colorants: Anthocyanins. Critical Reviews in Food Science and Nutrition. 28(4):273–314.
- Fridovich I. 1997. Superoxide anion radical (O•̄2), superoxide dismutases, and related matters. Journal of Biological Chemistry. 272(30):18515–17.
- Ganguly S, Praveen PK, Para PA, Sharma V. 2017. Medicinal properties of chilli pepper in human diet: An editorial. ARC Journal of Public Health and Community Medicine. 2(1):6–7.
- Gara L, Pinto MC, Arrigoni O. 1997. Ascorbate synthesis and ascorbate peroxidase activity during the early stage of wheat germination. Physiologia Plantarum. 100(4):894–900.
- Giannopolitis CN, Ries SK. 1977. Superoxide dismutases: II. purification and quantitative relationship with water-soluble protein in seedlings. Plant Physiology. 59(2):315–18.
- Gill SS, Tuteja N. 2010. Reactive oxygen species and antioxidant machinery in abiotic stress tolerance in crop plants. Plant Physiology and Biochemistry. 48(12):909–30.
- Halliwell B. 1999. Antioxidant defence mechanisms: From the beginning to the end (of the beginning). Free Radical Research. 31(4):261–72.
- Halo BA, Khan AL, Waqas M, Al-Harrasi A, Hussain J, et al. 2015. Endophytic bacteria ( Sphingomonas sp. LK11) and gibberellin can improve Solanum lycopersicum growth and oxidative stress under salinity. Journal of Plant Interactions. 10(1):117–25.
- Han KS, Jeon HJ, Kim YB, Lee JH. 2002. Sensory and nutritional characteristics of stuffed pork cutlet with kimchi, pineapple, and seasoned small green onion. Journal of Culture Research 8: 217–226.
- He Y, Ma P, Liu X, Wang R, Lu W. 2014. Effect of different initial pH on the storage characteristics and shelf life of liquid diet for suckling and weanling piglets. Journal of Integrative Agriculture. 13(1):134–39.
- Howard LR, Talcott ST, Brenes CH, Villalon B. 2000. Changes in phytochemical and antioxidant activity of selected pepper cultivars (Capsicum Species) as influenced by maturity. Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry. 48(5):1713–20.
- Hwang Y-S, Kim S-H, Kim B-G, Kim S-G, Cho J-H, Oh K-S. 2015. Processings and quality characteristics of the oyster sauce from IQF oyster Crassostrea gigas. Korean Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences. 48(6):833–38.
- Je J. 2005. Isolation of angiotensin I converting enzyme (ACE) inhibitor from fermented oyster sauce, Crassostrea gigas. Food Chemistry. 90(4):809–14.
- Kang HS, Kim HS, Ahn JJ, Yun TM, Hwang TY. 2014. Study on the potential hazard analysis by physicochemical quality and microbiological safety comparison of commercial sauces in South Korea. Journal of the East Asian Society of Dietary Life. 24(6):845–52.
- Kim HW, Ko HC, Baek HJ, Cho SM, Jang HH, et al. 2016. Identification and quantification of glucosinolates in Korean leaf mustard germplasm (Brassica juncea var. integrifolia) by liquid chromatography–electrospray ionization/tandem mass spectrometry. European Food Research and Technology. 242(9):1479–84.
- Kim I-D, Lee J-W, Kim S-J, Cho J-W, Dhungana SK, et al. 2014. Exogenous application of natural extracts of persimmon (Diospyros kaki Thunb.) can help in maintaining nutritional and mineral composition of dried persimmon. African Journal of Biotechnology. 13(22):2231–39.
- Kumar K, Barman Ray A. 2016. Development and shelf-life evaluation of tomato-mushroom mixed ketchup. Journal of Food Science and Technology. 53(5):2236–43.
- Lee H, Lee MY, Kim E-S, Chung S-J. 2018. Effective strategies to reduce sodium intake among consumers: Pork cutlet sauce as a model food system. Journal of The Korean Society of Food Culture. 33(5):426–36.
- Lobo V, Patil A, Phatak A, Chandra N. 2010. Free radicals, antioxidants and functional foods: Impact on human health. Pharmacognosy Reviews. 4(8):118–26.
- Marklund S, Marklund G. 1974. Involvement of the superoxide anion radical in the autoxidation of pyrogallol and a convenient assay for superoxide dismutase. European Journal of Biochemistry. 47(3):469–74.
- Matsui T, Yoo HJ, Lee DS. 2004. Isolation of angiotensin I-converting enzyme inhibitory peptide from cheonggukjang. Korean Journal of Microbiology. 40(4):355–58.
- Mondal K, Sharma NS, Malhotra SP, Dhawan K, Singh R. 2004. Antioxidant Systems in Ripening Tomato Fruits. Biologia plantarum. 48(1):49–53.
- Park J-H, Heo J-Y, Lee C, Seo G-S, Kang H-W, Moon B. 2010. Quality characteristics and antioxidant activity of pork cutlet sauce added with king oyster mushroom (Pleurotus eryngii) powder during storage. Journal of the East Asian Society of Dietary Life. 20(6):932–38.
- Park S-L, Lee S-Y, Nam Y-D, Yi S-H, Lim S-I. 2012. Fermentation properties of low-salted Doenjang supplemented with licorice and mustard. Food Science and Biotechnology. 21(1):91–99.
- Peto R, Doll R, Buckley JD, Sporn MB. 1981. Can dietary beta-carotene materially reduce human cancer rates? Nature. 290(5803):201–8.
- Poljsak B, Šuput D, Milisav I. 2013. Achieving the balance between ROS and antioxidants: when to use the synthetic antioxidants. Oxid Med Cell Longev. 2013:956792.
- Singleton VL, Orthofer R, Lamuela-Raventós RM. 1999. Analysis of total phenols and other oxidation substrates and antioxidants by means of folin-ciocalteu reagent. In Methods in Enzymology, Vol. 299, pp. 152–78. Packer L (ed). Elsevier B.V. Amsterdam, Netherlands.
- Skeggs LT, Kahn JR, Shumway NP. 1956. The preparation and function of the hypertensin-converting enzyme. Journal of Experimental Medicine. 103(3):295–99.
- Szollosi R. 2011. Indian mustard (Brassica juncea L.) seeds in health. In Nuts and Seeds in Health and Disease Prevention, eds. VR Preedy, RR Watsonand, VB Patel, pp. 671–76. London: Academic Press.
- Udomkun P, Ilukor J, Mockshell J, Mujawamariya G, Okafor C, et al. 2018. What are the key factors influencing consumers’ preference and willingness to pay for meat products in Eastern DRC? Food Science & Nutrition. 6(8):2321–36.
- Yoon H-S, Kim K-S, Kim S-S. 2006. Quality characteristics of pork cutlet sauce added with rice soybean paste powder. Korean Journal of Food Preservation. 13(4):472–76.
- Young IS, Woodside JV. 2001. Antioxidants in health and disease. Journal of Clinical Pathology. 54(3):176–86.
- Zhang J, Kirkham MB. 1994. Drought-stress-induced changes in activities of superoxide dismutase, catalase, and peroxidase in wheat species. Plant and Cell Physiology. 35(5):785–91.
- Zhishen J, Mengcheng T, Jianming W. 1999. The determination of flavonoid contents in mulberry and their scavenging effects on superoxide radicals. Food Chemistry. 64(4):555–59.
Cite this Article:
International Journal of Sciences is Open Access Journal.
This article is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY 4.0) License.
Author(s) retain the copyrights of this article, though, publication rights are with Alkhaer Publications.