The study investigated the quality of teachers and academic performance of secondary school students in Ondo State. The study was designed to find out whether qualities of teachers; qualification and experience are related to academic performance. Descriptive survey designed was used. Proportionate random sampling technique was used to select 50 schools in Ondo state in which 50 principals and 150 teachers, teaching English language, mathematics, biology in the sampled schools. Two set of research instruments; Academic performance Questionnaire (APQ) for principals only; and Teachers Quality Questionnaire (TQQ) for teachers only were used for the study. Frequency counts and simple percentage was used to answer the research question while Pearson Product Moment Correlation Co-efficent was used to analyze hypotheses tested. All hypotheses were tested at a significant level of 0.05. The study revealed the present quality of teacher in Ondo state. It also confirmed the significant relationship between the quality of teachers and student academic performance in the three core subjects; English language, (r-cal 0.501, r-tab 0.288) Mathematics 9r-cal 0,.291, r-tab 0.288 ) and Biology (r-cal 0.484, r-tab 0.288) in Ondo State secondary schools. Suggestions were made that all unqualified teachers should be encouraged to obtain requisite qualification like Diploma in Education. Also more- in â€“ service course, workshops, conferences, and seminars should be made available for the teachers and principals.
Teachers, Quality, Academic Performance, Core subjects
- Abiodun F. (2005): Provost Prescribes Positive Sanction For Quack Teachers. Guardian Thursday November, 17th
- Abubakar I. (1993): Education Today: A Quarterly Journal of Education. Federal Ministry of Education, Vol. 4: No 4 Pg 105-107
- Ehinola G.B (2009): Resource Availability and Academic Performance of Secondary School Students in Ondo State. Ph.D Thesis. Adekunle Ajasin University Akungba
- Federal Republic of Nigeria (2004): National Policy on Education (Revised) Minimum Standard for NCE Teachers 4th Edition
- Ibukun W.O (2004): Educational Management: Theory and Practices (2nd Edition) Greenline Publishers, Lagos
- Musa H.B (2004) Preface to teachers Code of Conduct, Teachers Registration country Nigeria
- Nwagwu C.C (1984): Academic and National Preference of Nigerian Secondary School Student: A challenge to Policy Maker Journal of Vocation Education and Training 50 (1) 113-122
- Obayan PAI (2000): UBE as Living Reality. The Question of Sustainability National Stakeholder Consultation on Education Abuja
- Obiokor O.C (1998): The Falling Standard of Education Respectively. New Nigeria Newspaper June, 12th
- Ogunsaju S. (2000): Human Resource Development and Productivity. Education and Productivity in Nigeria. In Fagbemiye E.O and Durosaro, D.O A publication of The Nigeria Association for Educational Administration And Planning, Unilorin
- Okunola, p.O (1985): Resources Utilization and Projections in Secondary Education in Oyo State, Nigeria Unpublished Ph.D Thesis. University of Ibadan, Ibadan
- Oni, J.O. (1992): Resources and Utilization as Correlates of School Academic Performance in the Secondary Pre-Vocational Education in Ogun State. Unpublished Ph.d Thesis. University of Ibadan, Ibadan
- Sotonwa, O.O (2003) Quality of Teacher and Quality Teaching Towards Achieving Quality in Universal Basic Education. Nigeria Journal of Educational Research and Education (4) 1: 67-78
- TESCOM, (2006). Teaching Staff List, Akure Global Press
- Ukeje, B.O. (1991). Educational Administration fourth Dimension Enugu, Fourth Dimension Press
- Uwadiae, I. (2010): WAEC records 75% failure in English and Mathematics. The nation, August 15th , 2010, page 1 and 24
International Journal of Sciences is Open Access Journal.
This article is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY 4.0) License.
Author(s) retain the copyrights of this article, though, publication rights are with Alkhaer Publications.