Amelia Carolina Sparavigna
Volume 2 - October 2013 (10)
Literary works can be analysed in the framework of network theories, as proposed for instance by the Stanford Literary Laboratory, in some of their experiments. In fact, the plot of a play or a novel can be displayed as a network of interacting characters, where the timeline of the plot is projected on a planar graph. Here we discuss this approach and how it can help in highlighting some features of the literary work.
Literary Experiments, Literary Laboratories, Networks
- J. Sunyer, Big data meets the Bard, The Financial Time, 2013
- F. Moretti, Network theory, plot analysis, A Stanford Lit Lab Pamphlet, 2011, http://litlab.stanford.edu/LiteraryLabPamphlet2A.Text.pdf
- J. Stiller, D. Nettle and R.I.M. Dunbar, The small world of Shakespeareâ€™s plays, Human Nature, Volume 14, Issue 4, 2003, pages 397-408
- R. Alberich, J. Miro-Julia and F. Rossello, Marvel Universe looks almost like a real social network, http://arxiv.org/abs/cond-mat/0202174v1
- J.-P. Onnela, J. Saramaki, J. Hyvonen, G. Szabo, D. Lazer, K. Kaski, J. Kertesz and A.-L. Barabasi, Structure and tie strengths in mobile communication networks, Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, Volume 104, Issue 18, 2007, pages 7332â€“7336
- D.J. Watts, Small Worlds, Princeton University Press, 1999
- D.J. Watts and S.H. Strogatz, Collective dynamics of â€œsmall-worldâ€ networks, Nature, Volume 393, 1998, pages 440â€“442
- L.A.N. Amaral, A. Scala, M. Barthelemy, and H.E. Stanley, Classes of small-world networks. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences U.S.A., Volume 97, Issue 21, 2000, pages 11149â€“11152
- A.-L. Barabasi and R. Albert, Emergence of scaling in random networks, Science, Volume 286, 1999, pages 509â€“512
- W. DeGottardi, The Statistical Mechanics of Scale-Free Networks, 10 December 2007
- A.-L. Barabasi, Scale-Free Networks, Scientific American, Volume 288, 2003, pages 60-69
- J. Kunegis, Network Science, at http://networkscience.wordpress.com/
Cite this Article:
International Journal of Sciences is Open Access Journal.
This article is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY 4.0) License.
Author(s) retain the copyrights of this article, though, publication rights are with Alkhaer Publications.