Author(s): Hassan Rammal, Mirella Dammous, Hussein Farhan, Akram Hijazi, Ali Bassal, Hussein Fayyad-Kazan, Yolla Makhour, Bassam Badran
This work aimed to purify, identify and quantify some of the bioactive compounds in the aqueous and ethanolic extracts from a Lebanese Eryngium creticum L. in addition to evaluate its metal content, particularly trace elements and thus to estimate its antioxidant activity. The phytochemical screening results indicated the presence of different bioactive compounds in both extracts mainly phenolic compounds, alkaloids, glycosides, terpenoids and flavonoids. On the other hand, XRF showed that this plant contains metals such silver, zirconium, nickel, selenium, niobium and molybdenum, iron, calcium, manganese and copper. The results of three in vitro antioxidant methods, DPPH, Ferrozine and H2O2 showed a significant antioxidant activity in both ethanolic and aqueous extracts revealing that E. creticum is a good source of different antioxidant and bioactive compounds.
Eryngium creticum L., phytochemical screening, trace elements, antioxidant activity, GC-MS
- American Association of Cereal Chemists (AACC) (1984). Method 08-01. The Association St. Paul MN. Approved Methods of the AACC, 8th Edition. Antioxidant activity of algal extracts on lipid peroxidation. Journal of Medical Science, 3, 87-98
- Association of official Analytical chemists (AOAC) (1980). Official Methods of analysis. 13th ed. Washington D.C. 376-384
- Cohen, H.J., Drew, R.T., Johnson, J.L., Rajagopalan, K.V. (1973). Molecular Basis of the Biological Function of Molybdenum. The Relationship between Sulfite Oxidase and the Acute Toxicity of Bisulfite and SO2. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 70 (12 Pt 1â€“2), 3655â€“3659
- Dalaly, B.A. & Hassan, S. (1987). Food Analysis. Department of Book House for printing and publishing. University of Mosul Arabic Version. Iraq
- De Smet, P.A.G.M. (1992). Adverse Effects of Herbal Drugs; Springer-Verlag: Berlin; ISBN 3-540-53100-9. Giron, H. C. At. Absorpt. Newsl. 1973, 12, 28
- Elmastas, M., Gulcin Isildak, O., Kufrevioglu, O.I., Ibaoglu, K., Aboul-Enein, H.Y. (2006). Radical scavenging activity and antioxidant capacity of bay leaf extracts. Journal Iran Chemistry Society, 3,258-266
- Farhan, H., Rammal, H., Hijazi, A., Hamad, H., Badran, B. (2012a). Phytochemical screening and extraction of polyphenol from stems and leaves of a Lebanese Euphorbia macroclada schyzoceras Boiss. Annual of Biological Research, 3, 149-156
- Farhan, H., Rammal, H., Hijazi, A., Badran, B. (2012b). Preliminary phytochemical screening and extraction of polyphenol from stems and leaves of a Lebanese plant Malva parviflora L. International Journal of Current Pharmaceutical Research, 4,55-59
- Farhan, H., Rammal, H., Hijazi, A., Hamad, H., Daher, A., Reda, M., Badran, B. (2012c). In vitro antioxidant activity of ethanolic and aqueous extracts from crude Malva parviflora L. grown in Lebanon. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical and Clinical Research 5(3), 234-238
- Farhan, H., Rammal, H., Hijazi, A., Daher, A., Reda, M., Annan, H., Chokr, A., Badran, B. (2013). Chemical composition and antioxidant activity of a Lebanese plant Euphorbia macroclada schyzoceras. Asian Pacific Journal of Tropical Biomedicine 3(7), 542-548
- Frankel, E. (1995). Nutritional benefits of flavonoids. International conference on food factors: Chemistry and cancer prevention, Hamamatsu, Japan abstracts, C6-2
- Gupta, A., Naraniwal, M., Kothari, V. (2012). Modern extraction methods for preparation of bioactive plant extracts. International Journal of Applied and Natural Sciences 1, 8-26
- Rammal, H., Bouayed, J., Desor, F., Younos, C., Soulimani, R. (2009). Notes ethnobotanique et phytopharmacologique sur Eryngium creticum L. PhytothÃ©rapie 7, 26â€“27
- Hsu, C.L., Chen, W., Weng, Y.M., Tseng, C.Y. (2003). Chemical composition, physical properties, and antioxidant activities of yam flours as affected by different drying methods. Food Chemistry 83, 85-92
- Koleva, I.I., Van Beek, T.A., Linssen, J.P.H., deGroot, A., Estatieva, L.N. (2002). Screening of plant extracts for antioxidant activity: a comparative study on three testing methods. Phytochemical analysis 13, 8-11
- Lowry, O.H., Rosebrough, N.J., Farr, A.L., Randall, R.J. (1951). Protein measurement with the Folin phenol reagent. Journal of Biological Chemistry 193(1), 265-75
- Mallela, V.S., Ilankumaran, V., Srinivasa Rao, N. (2004). Trends in Cardiac Pacemaker Batteries. Indian Pacing Electrophysiological Journal 4(4), 201â€“212
- Mendel, R.R. (2009). Cell biology of molybdenum. BioFactors 35 (5), 429â€“34
- Smit, E.J., Gorris, L.G.M. (1999), Natural anti-microbials for food preservation, In: M.S. Rah-man, Handbook of Food Preservation, (pp. 285â€“308) Marcel Dekker, New York
- Sovljanski, R., Obradovie, S., Kisgeci, J., Lazie, S., Macko, V. (1989). The heavy metals contents and quality of hop cones treated by pesticide during the vegetation. Acta Horticulture 249, 81-88
- Walsh, L.M. (1971). Instrumental methods of Analysis of soils and plant tissues. Soil Science Society of America, Inc. Madison Wisconsin, USA, p 26-30
- WHO. (2002). Traditional Medicine Strategy: 2002â€“2005, World Health Organisation, Geneva, Switzerland, 1-6
International Journal of Sciences is Open Access Journal.
This article is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY 4.0) License.
Author(s) retain the copyrights of this article, though, publication rights are with Alkhaer Publications.