Despite all the efforts after twenty years, Albania is still considered a transitional government or hybrid regime (Freedom House, 2013). Direct participation of citizens in decision making through referendums is a tool to raise the level of public awareness and encourage critical debate of local community concerns among different actors of the society. Local referendums have the advantage to increase critical mass debate about the concern question raised. However, it is often argued that referendums are problematic because they weaken representative democracy. The notion of referendum implies the coexistence of representative institutions such as local councils and the procedures for the intervention of direct participation of the citizens. Seeing the fact that our representatives are far from representing citizens interests and also the fact of the citizensâ€™ apathy, this paper argues that local referendums help to develop local democracy, promoting direct participation and human rights values.
referendum, democracy, participation, practicing democracy, human rights
- Biezen, I. V. Political Parties in New Democracies. Palgrave Macmillan, 2003
- Krasniqi, A.. Zgjedhjet ne Shqiperi. Tirane, 2009
- Parlamenti i Shqiperise, Kushtetuta e Shqiperise, 1998
- Qvortrup, M. Supply Side Politics. How Citizensâ€™ Initiatives could revitalise British politics. London: Centre for Policy Studies, 2007
- Sartori, G. C'Ã«shtÃ« Demokracia. Tirane: Dituria, 1998
- Stepan, J. Problems of Democratic Transition and Consolidation: Southern Europe, South America, and Post-Communist Europe. Johns Hopkins University Press, 1996
- Thomai, J. Fjalori i GjuhÃ«s Shqipe. Tirane: Akademia e Shkencave e Shqiperise, 2006
- Tocqueville, A. D. Demokracia ne Amerike. Tirane: Fondacioni Soros & Kristalina, 2002
- Tolbert, C. J. Cycles of Democracy: Direct democracy and institutional realignment in the American states. Political Science Quarterly, 2003, pp. 467-489
- Journal Article
- Bertelsman Stiftung , BTI 2012, Albania Country Report, GÃ¼tersloh: Bertelsmann Stiftung, 2012
- Christin, T., Hug, S & Sciarini, P. Interests and information in referendum voting: An. European journal of political research, 2002, pp. 759-776
- Lupia, A. and Matsusaka, J. Direct Democracy: New Approaches to Old Questions. The Annual Review of Political Science, June 2004, pp. 463â€“482
- Tolbert, C and Smith, D. Representation and Direct Democracy in The United States. Journal of Representative Democracy 42.1 , 2006, pp.25-44
- Electronic Source:
- FRIDE, 20 April 2010, FRIDE. Retrieved January 4, 2013, from: http://www.fride.org/publication/758/democracy-in-albania
- Government, D. f. January 2011. Government of UK. Retrieved Janary 20, 2013, from Localism Bill: local referendums: https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/6045/1829672.pdf
- Freedom House. January 2013,. Freedom House. Retrieved January 19, 2013, from http://www.freedomhouse.org/sites/default/files/inline_images/NIT-2011-Release_Booklet.pdf
- KQZ. 2011. Komisioni Qendror i Zgjedhjeve. Retrieved Janar 20, 2013, from Komisioni Qendror i Zgjedhjeve: http://www.cec.org.al/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=244%3Apjesmarrja-ne-votime&catid=121&Itemid=146&lang=sq
Cite this Article:
International Journal of Sciences is Open Access Journal.
This article is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY 4.0) License.
Author(s) retain the copyrights of this article, though, publication rights are with Alkhaer Publications.