The purpose of this study is to investigate the use of concept map to enhance academic performance of students in Glycolysis and Krebs cycle. Sixty-three (63) second year students from Odorgonno Senior High School (OSSA) in the Greater Accra Region of Ghana were used for the study. A quasi-experimental design which combines both qualitative and quantitative with inclusion of participatory design was used to gather information from students’ concept maps (interventional tool used) on Glycolysis and Krebs cycle. Closeness index technique designed by Goldsmith, Johnson and Acton (1991) was used to assess students’ concept maps. The outcome of the study disclosed high performance of students’ skills in concept map construction and a significant increase in students’ understanding of Glycolysis and Krebs cycle; concepts in tissue respiration. The study portrayed a significant difference between the pre-test and post-test scores and this suggests that concept mapping is an effective tool that can enhance SHS students’ academic performance in Glycolysis and Krebs cycle.
Academic performance, Achievement levels, Senior High School (SHS), Concept mapping, Closeness index
- Abimbola, I. O. (1987). Cognitive science and its implications for science curriculum and instruction. Journal of Applied Research in Education, 1(1), 38-46.
- Ameyaw, Y. (2012). Closeness Index (CI): An assessment tool for students’ performance of Cell Theory. International Journal of Science and Nature, 3 (3)
- Ausubel, D. (1978). Educational psychology: A cognitive view (Holt, Rinehart, & Winston). http://dx.doi.org/10.3102/00028312006002287
- Ausubel, D. P., Novak, J. D. & Hanesian, H. (1978). Educational psychology: A Cognitive view (2nd ed.). New York: Holt, Rinehart and Winston. http://dx.doi.org/10.3102/00028312006002287
- Beyerbach, B. & Smith, J. (1990). Using a computerized concept mapping program to assess pre-service teachers’ thinking about effective teaching. Journal of Research in Science Teaching, 27(10), 961-971. http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/tea.3660271005
- Cañas, J. A., Coffey, J. W., Carnot, J. M., Feltovich, P., Hoffman, R. R., Feltovich. J., & Novak, D. J. (2003). A Summary of Literature Pertaining to the Use of Concept Mapping Techniques and Technologies for Education and Performance Support. The Institute for Human and Machine Cognition, Pensacola.
- Chang, K. E., Sung, Y. T. & Chen, S. F. (2001). Learning through computer-based Concept Mapping with scaffolding Aid. Journal of Computer Assisted Learning, 17(1), 21-33. http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2729.2001.00156.x
- Creswell, J. W. (1994). RESEARCH DESIGN: Qualitative, Quantitative and Mixed Methods Approaches (2nd Ed.). SAGE Publications, Lincoln.
- Edmondson, K. M. (1995). Concept mapping for the development of medical curricula. Journal of research in science teaching, 32(7), 777-793. http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/tea.3660320709
- Goldsmith, T. E., Johnson, P. J., & Acton, W. H. (1991). Assessing structural knowledge. Journal of Educational Psychology, 83 (1), 88-96. http://dx.doi.org/10.1037//0022-06126.96.36.199
- Horton, P. B., McConney, A. A., Gallo, M., Woods, A. L., Senn, G. J. & Hamelin, D.(1993). An investigation of the effectiveness of concept mapping as an instructional tool. Science Education, 77(1), 95-111. http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/sce.3730770107
- Keppel, G. (1991). Design and analysis of experiments. New Jersey:Prentice Hall. Chapter 3.
- Marmaroti, P. & Galanopoulou, D. (2006). "Pupils' understanding of photosynthesis: Aquestionnaire for the simultaneous assessment of all aspects." International Journal of Science Education 28 (4): 383-403. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/09500690500277805
- Mintzes, J. J., Wandersee, J. H. & Novak, J. D. (2000). Assessing science understanding: A human constructivist view. San Diego: Academic Press. http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1541-4329.2008.00057.x
- Novak, J. D. (1998). Learning, creating, and using knowledge: Concept maps(R) as facilitative tools in schools and corporations. Mahweh, NJ: Lawrence ErlbaumAssociates. http://dx.doi.org/10.4324/9781410601629
- Novak, J. D. & Gowin, D. B. (1984). Learning how to learn. New York: Cambridge University Press. http://dx.doi.org/10.1017/cbo9781139173469
- Seymour, J, & Longdon, B. (1991). Respiration-that's breathing isn't It? J. Biol. Educ. 23(3):177-184.
- Schmid, R. F. & Telaro, G. (1990). Concept Mapping as an Instructional Strategy for High http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/00220671.1990.10885996
- School Biology. Journal of Educational Research, 84(2), 78-85. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/00220671.1990.10885996
- Songer, C. J. & Mintzes, J. J. (Aug, 1994). Understanding cellular respiration: An analysis of conceptual change in college biology. Journal of Research in Science Teaching. Volume 31, Issue 6, pages 621–637. Wiley Periodicals, Inc. http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/tea.3660310605
Cite this Article:
International Journal of Sciences is Open Access Journal.
This article is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY 4.0) License.
Author(s) retain the copyrights of this article, though, publication rights are with Alkhaer Publications.