This study focused on selection of suitable landfill site for poultry waste in Amo farms Nigeria Limited Awe, Afijio Local Government. The data sets used for the study include; Satellite imagery (Landsat) and topographic maps of the study area. The layers created include those for roads, water bodies, farm sites and the slope map of the study area to determine the degree of slope. The various created layers were subjected to buffering, overlay and query operations using ArcGis 9.3 alongside the established criteria for poultry waste site selection. At the end of the analytical processes, search query was used to generate two most suitable sites of an area that is less than or equal to 20,000m2 (2 hectares).
Poultry, waste, Site, Geoinformatics, Selection
- Agunwamba J.C et al (1997) Solid Waste Management in Onitsha, Nigeria. Waste Management and Research 16(1), 23-31
- Chain, E.S.K (1971): Sanitary Landfill Leachate and their Treatment. Journal of Environmental Engineering Division ASCE55(3), 93
- Eastman, J. Ronald, Peter A.K. Kyem, and James Toledano. (1993). “A Procedure for Multi-Objective Decision Making in GIS under Conditions of Conflicting Objectives”. Proceedings of the Fourth European Conference and Exhibition on Geographical Information Systems, EGIS '93. Genoa : EGIS Foundation, 1993. 1: 438-447
- Mc Graw-Hill (1978): “Solid wastes and their effect on Water quality: Case study of Solid wastes and their effect on Water quality in San Francisco Bay-Delta Area” Califonia Dept.Public health,1968 - Page 304-308
- Onosemuode C. and Dare O.T. (2010). Application of Geographical Information System (GIS) for Spatial Decision Support in Eco-Tourism Development. Environmental Research Journal 4 (2): 187-194.
- Ukpong, E.C: “Solid Waste Management in Nigeria” Department of Civil Engineering, University of Uyo, Nigeria-International Journal of Environmental Issues Vol. 4, No 1 and 2. 2006.
- UNEP (1996). International Source Book on Environmentally Sound Technologies for Municipal Solid Waste Management. Technical Publication Series (6), UNEP, International Environment Technology Center, Osaka/Shiga, Japan.
International Journal of Sciences is Open Access Journal.
This article is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY 4.0) License.
Author(s) retain the copyrights of this article, though, publication rights are with Alkhaer Publications.