Author(s): Mun-Gyeong Cho, Ji-Hyeong Cho, Mun-yeong Lee, Sanjeev Kumar Dhungana, Il-Doo Kim
Persimmon fruits are considered as one of the health promoting fruits and have long been considered as one of the major fruits in Korea. Drying is one of the most famous fruit processing techniques. The objective of this study was to investigate the effect of different pretreatments on the color, tannin content, and antioxidant potential of dried persimmon fruit. Hunter’s color value of ST (dried persimmon prepared by soaking the fruits into 5% salt solution containing 1% citric acid for 1 min at 65°C) was significantly reduced. Although the tannin content of RB (dried persimmon prepared by spraying rice bran extracts (in 98% ethanol) and 1% citric acid for 2 min at 20°C) was significantly low, the DPPH free radical scavenging potential was high at the end of drying process. The significant differences in the parameters indicated that the color value, tannin content, and antioxidant potential of dried persimmon could be remarkably affected by the pretreatment methods.
Antioxidant, Color Value, Drying, Pretreatment, Tannin Content
- Achiwa Y, Hibasami H, Katsuzaki H, Imai K, Komiya T (1997). Inhibitory effects of persimmon (Diospyros kaki) extract and related polyphenol compounds on growth of human lymphoid leukaemia cells. Bioscience, Biotechnology and Biochemistry. 61: 1099–1101.
- Ahn HS, Jeon TI, Lee JY, Hwang SG, Lim Y, Park DK (2002). Antioxidative activity of persimmon and grape seed extract: in vitro and in vivo. Nutrition Research. 22: 1265–1273.
- Akyıldız A, Aksay S, Benli H, Kıroğlu F, Fenercioğlu H (2004). Determination of changes in some characteristics of persimmon during dehydration at different temperatures. Journal of Food Engineering. 65: 95–99.
- Butt MS, Sultan MT, Aziz M, Naz A, Ahmed W, Kumar N, Imran M (2015). Persimmon (Diospyros kaki) fruit: hidden phytochemicals and health claims. EXCLI Journal. 14: 542-561.
- Byrne D H (2002). Peach breeding trends: a worldwide perspective. Acta Horticulturae. 592: 49−59.
- Cao SF, Zheng YH, Yang ZF, Li N, Ma SJ, Tang SS, Zhang JH. Effects of storage temperature on antioxidant composition and antioxidant activity of loquat fruit. In II International Symposium on Loquat 750 2006 Apr 1 (pp. 471−476).
- Carcel JA, Perez-Garcia JV, Sansujan N, Mulet A (2010). Influence of pre-treatment and storage temperature on the evolution of the colour of dried persimmon. Food Science and Technology. 43: 1191–1196.
- Cheung LM, Cheung PC, Ooi VE (2003). Antioxidant activity and total phenolics of edible mushroom extracts. Food Chemistry. 81: 249–255.
- Dehydration (1998). In Encyclopaedia Britannica Online [online] Retrieved from https://global.britannica.com/topic/dehydration-food-preservation [17 November, 2018].
- Fu L, Lu W, Zhou X (2016). Phenolic compounds and in vitro antibacterial and antioxidant activities of three tropic fruits: persimmon, guava, and sweetsop. BioMed Research International. Article ID 4287461.
- Graham HN (1992). Green tea composition, consumption and polyphenol chemistry. Preventive Medicine. 21: 334
- Kamimoto M, Nakai Y, Tsuji T, Shimamoto T, Shimamoto T (2014). Antiviral effects of persimmon extract on human norovirus and its surrogate, bacteriophage MS2. Journal of Food Science. 79: 941‒946.
- Kim ID, Lee JW, Kim SJ, Cho JW, Dhungana SK, Lim YS, Shin DH (2014). Exogenous application of natural extracts of persimmon (Diospyros kaki Thunb.) can help in maintaining nutritional and mineral composition of dried persimmon. African Journal of Biotechnology. 3: 2231–2239.
- Kim JH, Kim JC, Ko GC (1986). Orchard Horticulture Outline, Hyangmoonsa, Korea. pp. 220‒229.
- Lia C, Zou B, Dong X, Zhang Y, Du J (2013). Current progress on structure analysis and health benefits of persimmon tannin. Acta Horticulturae. 996: 455‒466.
- Marques LG, Silveira AM, Freire JT (2006). Freeze-drying characteristics of tropical fruits. Drying Technology. 24: 457–463.
- Nicoleti JF, Silveira V, Tlis-Romero J, Telis VRN (2007). Influence of drying conditions on ascorbic acid during convective drying of whole persimmons. Drying Technology. 25: 891–899.
- Park YS (1999). Carbon dioxide-induced flesh browning development as related to phenolic metabolism in ‘Niitaka’pear during storage. Journal of Korean Society of Horticultural Science. 40: 567–570.
- Price KR, Rhodes MJC, Barnes KA (1988). Flavonol glycoside content and composition of tea infusions made from commercially available teas and tea products. Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry. 46: 2547–2522.
- Rakić S, Maletić RO, Perunović MN, Svrzić G (2004). Influence of thermal treatment on tannin content and antioxidation effect of oak acorn Quercus cerris extract. Journal of Agricultural Sciences, Belgrade. 49: 97–107.
- Rao AV, Rao LG (2007). Carotenoids and human health. Pharmacological Research. 55: 207–216.
- Shahkoomahally S, Ramezanian A, Farahnaky A (2015). Postharvest nitric oxide treatment of persimmon (Diospyros kaki L.) improves fruit quality during storage. Fruits. 70: 63–68.
- Uchida S, Ozaki M, Akashi T, Ysmsdhts K, Niwa M, Taniyama K (1995). Effects of (-)-epigallocatechin-3-o-gallate (green tea tannin) on the life span of stoke-prone spontaneously hypertensive rates. Clinical and Experimental Pharmacology and Physiology. 1: 302–303.
- Vázquez-Gutiérrez JL, Hernando I, Quiles A (2013). Changes in tannin solubility and microstructure of high hydrostatic pressure–treated persimmon cubes during storage at 4°C. European Food Research and Technology. 237: 9–17.
- Veberic R, Jurhar J, Mikulic-Petkovsek M, Stampar F, Schmitzer V (2010). Comparative study of primary and secondary metabolites in 11 cultivars of persimmon fruit (Diospyros kaki L.) Food Chemistry. 119: 477‒483.
- Xie C, Xie Z, Xu X, Yang D (2015). Persimmon (Diospyros kaki L.) leaves: A review on traditional uses, phytochemistry and pharmacological properties. Journal of Ethnopharmacology. 163: 229‒240.
- Yoshioka H, Tsuyumu S, Takayanagi K (1990). Radical formation during the processing of green tea. Agricultural and Biological Chemistry. 54: 203−204.
- Zhang K, Zhang Y, Zhang M, Gu L, Liu Z, Jia J, Chen X (2016). Effects of phospholipid complexes of total flavonoids from Persimmon (Diospyros kaki L.) leaves on experimental atherosclerosis rats. Journal of Ethnopharmacology. 191: 245−253.
Cite this Article:
International Journal of Sciences is Open Access Journal.
This article is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY 4.0) License.
Author(s) retain the copyrights of this article, though, publication rights are with Alkhaer Publications.