Author(s): Mun-Gyeong Cho, Ji-Hyeong Cho, Eun-Mi Park, Sanjeev Kumar Dhungana, Il-Doo Kim
Persimmon is one of the widely cultivated fruits in Korea, China, and Japan. The fruits of persimmon contain various phytochemicals which have health promoting effects. Drying is one of the most oldest and famous fruit processing techniques. The objective of this study was to investigate the effect of different pretreatments on moisture content, soluble solid content, and firmness of dried persimmon fruit. The moisture content of HCT (dried persimmon prepared by soaking in 50 ppm sodium hypochlorite for 1 min at 20°C) and ACT (dried persimmon prepared by soaking into 1% N-acetylcysteine for 1 min at 20°C) followed by STT (dried persimmon prepared by soaking the fruits into 5% salt solution containing 1% citric acid for 1 min at 65°C) showed the significantly low moisture content on 6 days of drying. The soluble solid content of HCT and MST (dried persimmon prepared by soaking into 0.5% sodium metabisulfite for 1 min at 20°C) was significantly low at 6 DAD compared to the other treatments. Similarly, the firmness of ACT showed a high value on day 6. The firmness of HCT was significantly low as in the control followed by MST on day 6. The results indicated that fruit pretreatment by soaking in 50 ppm sodium hypochlorite solution could be a good option to enhance the quality characteristics of dried persimmon fruits.
Dried Persimmon, Firmness, Moisture Content, Pretreatment, Soluble Solid Content
- Achiwa Y, Hibasami H, Katsuzaki H, Imai K, Komiya T (1997). Inhibitory effects of persimmon (Diospyros kaki) extract and related polyphenol compounds on growth of human lymphoid leukaemia cells. Bioscience, Biotechnology and Biochemistry. 61: 1099–1101.
- Akyıldız A, Aksay S, Benli H, Kıroğlu F, Fenercioğlu H (2004). Determination of changes in some characteristics of persimmon during dehydration at different temperatures. Journal of Food Engineering. 65: 95–99.
- Apai W (2010). Effects of fruit dipping in hydrochloric acid then rinsing in water on fruit decay and browning of longan fruit. Crop Protection. 29: 1184–1189.
- Ayrancy E, Tunc S (2004). The effect of edible coatings on water and vitamin C loss of apricots (Armeniaca vulgaris Lam.) and green peppers (Capsicum annuum L.). Food Chemistry. 87: 339–42.
- Butt MS, Sultan MT, Aziz M, Naz A, Ahmed W, Kumar N, Imran M (2015). Persimmon (Diospyros kaki) fruit: hidden phytochemicals and health claims. EXCLI Journal. 14: 542−561.
- Byrne D H (2002). Peach breeding trends: a worldwide perspective. Acta Horticulturae. 592: 49−59.
- Dehydration (1998). In Encyclopaedia Britannica Online [online] Retrieved from https://global.britannica.com/topic/dehydration-food-preservation [17 November, 2018].
- Dilmaçünal T, Erbaş D, Koyuncu MA, Onursal CE, Kuleaşan H (2014). Efficacy of some antimicrobial treatments compared to sodium hypochlorite on physical, physiological and microbial quality of fresh-cut melons (Cucumis melo L. var. Inodorus). LWT-Food Science and Technology. 59: 1146–1151.
- Fu L, Lu W, Zhou X (2016). Phenolic compounds and in vitro antibacterial and antioxidant activities of three tropic fruits: persimmon, guava, and sweetsop. BioMed Research International. Article ID 4287461.
- Graham HN (1992). Green tea composition, consumption and polyphenol chemistry. Preventive Medicine. 21: 334
- Hai LH, Uthaibutra J, Chanbang Y, Joomwong A (2014). Effects of bee-carnauba mixed wax coating on the reduction of respiration rate, weight loss, fruit decay, and the maintenance of visual appearance and quality of Vietnamese longan cv. Long during low temperature storage. International Journal of Agriculture Innovations and Research. 2: 554–560.
- Hong JH, Gross KC (1998). Surface sterilization of whole tomato fruit with sodium hypochlorite influences subsequent postharvest behavior of fresh-cut slices. Postharvest Biology and Technology. 13: 51–58.
- Kamimoto M, Nakai Y, Tsuji T, Shimamoto T, Shimamoto T (2014). Antiviral effects of persimmon extract on human norovirus and its surrogate, bacteriophage MS2. Journal of Food Science. 79: 941‒946.
- Lia C, Zou B, Dong X, Zhang Y, Du J (2013). Current progress on structure analysis and health benefits of persimmon tannin. Acta Horticulturae. 996: 455‒466.
- Manuwong S, Uthairatanakij A, Jitaree P (2007). Effects of hot water and sodium hypochlorite treatments on survival of Salmonella spp. and qualities of fresh-cut pineapple. In International Conference on Quality Management of Fresh Cut Produce, 2007 Aug 6 (pp. 401-408).
- Marques LG, Silveira AM, Freire JT (2006). Freeze-drying characteristics of tropical fruits. Drying Technology. 24: 457–463.
- Nicoleti JF, Silveira V, Tlis-Romero J, Telis VRN (2007). Influence of drying conditions on ascorbic acid during convective drying of whole persimmons. Drying Technology. 25: 891–899.
- Rao AV, Rao LG (2007). Carotenoids and human health. Pharmacological Research. 55: 207–216.
- Rinaldi R, Cabezas-Serrano AB, Cornacchia R, Amodio ML, Colelli G (2009). Response of Fresh-Cut Potato Cubes of Three Different Varieties to Anti-Browning Treatments. In X International Controlled and Modified Atmosphere Research Conference, 2009 Apr 4 (pp. 319-324).
- Shahkoomahally S, Ramezanian A, Farahnaky A (2015). Postharvest nitric oxide treatment of persimmon (Diospyros kaki L.) improves fruit quality during storage. Fruits. 70: 63–68.
- Tapia MS, Rojas‐Graü MA, Rodríguez FJ, Ramírez J, Carmona A, Martin‐Belloso O (2007). Alginate‐and gellan‐based edible films for probiotic coatings on fresh‐cut fruits. Journal of Food Science. 72: E190–196.
- Uchida S, Ozaki M, Akashi T, Ysmsdhts K, Niwa M, Taniyama K (1995). Effects of (-)-epigallocatechin-3-o-gallate (green tea tannin) on the life span of stoke-prone spontaneously hypertensive rates. Clinical and Experimental Pharmacology and Physiology. 1: 302–303.
- Veberic R, Jurhar J, Mikulic-Petkovsek M, Stampar F, Schmitzer V (2010). Comparative study of primary and secondary metabolites in 11 cultivars of persimmon fruit (Diospyros kaki L.) Food Chemistry. 119: 477‒483.
- Xie C, Xie Z, Xu X, Yang D (2015). Persimmon (Diospyros kaki L.) leaves: A review on traditional uses, phytochemistry and pharmacological properties. Journal of Ethnopharmacology. 163: 229‒240.
- Zhang K, Zhang Y, Zhang M, Gu L, Liu Z, Jia J, Chen X (2016). Effects of phospholipid complexes of total flavonoids from Persimmon (Diospyros kaki L.) leaves on experimental atherosclerosis rats. Journal of Ethnopharmacology. 191: 245−253.
Cite this Article:
International Journal of Sciences is Open Access Journal.
This article is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY 4.0) License.
Author(s) retain the copyrights of this article, though, publication rights are with Alkhaer Publications.