Twenty three improved bread wheat varieties and one local check were evaluated with the objective of selecting adaptable and best performing bread wheat varieties for bread wheat production areas of south omo zone. The trial was conducted at Senmamer kebele of Debub Ari woreda during 2012 cropping seasons using randomized complete block design under rain faid condition. Grain yield, thousand seed weight, days to heading, days to maturity and plant height ranged from 1222.8 to 2150.5, 50.9 to 34.9, 51 to 71, 114 to 132 and 57.0 to 76.7, respectively .This experiment suggests that the variety Digelo was recommended to increase production and productivity of bread wheat in South Ari district of South omo zone.
Bread, wheat, evaluating, grain, yield
- Ephrem B., H. Kebede and G. Belay, 2000. wheat in Ethiopia: An old crop in an ancient land. Institute of Biodiversity Conservation and Research. (IBCR), Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
- Sthapit, B.R., K.D. Joshi and J.R. Witcombe, 1996. armer participatory crop improvement
- III.Participatory plant breeding, a case study for rice in Npal. Exp. Agric., 32: 479-496
- Kornegay, J., J.A. Beltran and J. Ashby, 19Farmer selections within segregating population of common bean in Colombia: Crop improvement in difficulty environments. In: P. Eyzaguirre and M. Iwanaga (eds), Participatory Plant Breeding, 151-159. Proceeding of a workshop on participatory plant breeding, 26-29 July 1995, Wageningen, The Netherlands. IPGRI, Rome, Italy
- Cecdcarelli S. and S. Grando, 2007.. Decentralized-participatory plant breeding: an example of demand. driven research. Euphytica, 155: 349-360
- Fufa, F., S. Grando, O. Kafawin, Y. Shakhatreh andS. Ceccarelli, 2010. Efficiency of farmersâ€™ selection ina participatory barley breeding programme in Jordan. Plant Breeding, 129: 156-161
- SAS Institute, â€œThe SAS System for Windows, V6.12,â€ Carry, NC, 1996
- Molla,F., and Tsedalu Jemberu, 2012. Participatory on Farm Evaluation and Selection of Improved Bread Wheat Varieties in Vertisol Areas of North Western Ethiopia. American-Eurasian Journal of Agronomy 5 (1): 06-09
- Grignac, P., 1981. Rendement et composants du rendement du ble diver dans environment mediterraneen francais. Pages 185-197 In: Limits de potentialite de production du ble dans differents systemes de culture et dans differentes zones mediterraneenes. Seminaire de Bari.30 Sep.- 2 Oct. CEE: Bari, Italy
Cite this Article:
International Journal of Sciences is Open Access Journal.
This article is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY 4.0) License.
Author(s) retain the copyrights of this article, though, publication rights are with Alkhaer Publications.