Author(s): Kil-Su Jang, Sanjeev Kumar Dhungana, Il-Doo Kim, Young-Joon Choi, Chan-Yong Kim
Scorched rice chip, locally known as Nuroong-gi, is a famous processed rice product in Korea. Nutritionally enriched Nuroong-gi, an easy-to-make rice product, is of great importance, especially to supply nutritious diets to the rural poor who reside in the less developed countries. In this study, Nuroong-gi was produced by addition hot pepper extract in order to enhance its nutritional value. The objective of this study was to investigate the effect of the pepper extract on antioxidant potential and quality characteristics of fresh as well as stored (90 days) Nuroong-gi. The addition of pepper extract significantly enhanced the antioxidant potential and the overall acceptance of Nuroong-gi, however the viscosity was not notably altered, compared to the regular product. The results of this study suggest that pepper extract could be one of the efficient ways to enhance the antioxidant potential and the overall acceptance of Nuroong-gi.
Antioxidant Potential, Hot Pepper, Nuroong-gi, Overall Acceptance
- Bae SH, Jung EY, Kim SY, Shin KS, Suh HJ. 2010. Antioxidant and immuno-modulating activities of Korean traditional rice wine, takju. J. Food. Biochem. 34: 233–248. http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1745-4514.2009.00327.x
- Bao JS. 2012. Toward understanding the genetic and molecular bases of the eating and cooking qualities of rice. Cereal Foods World 57: 148–156. http://dx.doi.org/10.1094/cfw-57-4-0148
- Caporale G, Monteleone E. 2001. Effect of expectations induced by information on origin and its guarantee on the acceptability of a traditional food: olive oil. Sci. Aliments 21: 243–254. http://dx.doi.org/10.3166/sda.21.243-254
- Champagne ET, Bett KL, Vinyard BT, McClung AM, Barton FE, Moldenhauer K, Linscombe S, McKenzie K. 1999. Correlation between cooked rice texture and rapid visco analyser measurements. Cereal Chem. 76: 764–771. http://dx.doi.org/10.1094/cchem.19220.127.116.114
- Domínguez-Martínez I, Meza-Márquez OG, Osorio-Revilla G, Proal-Nájera J, Gallardo-Velázquez T. 2014. Determination of capsaicin, ascorbic acid, total phenolic compounds and antioxidant activity of Capsicum annuum L. var. serrano by mid infrared spectroscopy (Mid-FTIR) and chemometric analysis. J. Korean Soc. App. Bio. Chem. 57: 133–142. http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s13765-013-4295-y
- Francis FJ, Markakis PC. 1989. Food colorants: Anthocyanins. Crit. Rev. Food Sci. Nutr. 28: 273‒314. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/10408398909527503
- Gilani GS, Nasim A. 2007. Impact of foods nutritionally enhanced through biotechnology in alleviating malnutrition in developing countries. J. AOAC Int. 90: 1440–1444.
- Godfray HCJ, Beddington JR, Crute IR, Haddad L, Lawrence D, Muir JF, Pretty J, Robinson S, Thomas SM, Toulmin C. 2010. Food security: the challenge of feeding 9 billion people. Science 327: 812–818. http://dx.doi.org/10.1126/science.1185383
- Guerrero L, Colomer Y, Guardia MD, Xicola J, Clotet R. 2000. Consumer attitude towards store brands. Food Qual. Prefer. 11: 387–395. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/s0950-3293(00)00012-4
- Hernandez-Ortega M, Ortiz-Moreno A, Hernandez-Navarro MD, ChamorroCevallos G, Dorantes-Alvarez L, Necoechea-Mondragon H. 2012. Antioxidant, antinociceptive, and anti-inflammatory effects of carotenoids extracted from dried pepper (Capsicum annuum L.). J. Biomed. Biotechnol. 2012: 1–10. http://dx.doi.org/10.1155/2012/524019
- Jang YK, Jung ES, Lee HA, Choi D, Lee CH. 2015. Metabolomic characterization of hot pepper (Capsicum annuum “CM334”) during fruit development. J. Agr. Food Chem. 63: 9452–9460. http://dx.doi.org/10.1021/acs.jafc.5b03873
- Jeon G, Choi Y, Lee SM, Kim Y, Jeong HS, Lee J. 2010. Anti-obesity activity of methanol extract from hot pepper (Capsicum annuum L.) seeds in 3T3-L1 adipocyte. Food Sci. Biotechnol. 19: 1123–1127. http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s10068-010-0160-5
- Keeratipibul S, Luangsakul N, Lertsatchayarn T. 2008. The effect of Thai glutinous rice cultivars, grain length and cultivating locations on the quality of rice cracker (arare). LWT-Food Sci. Technol. 41: 1934–1943. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.lwt.2007.12.008
- Kim ID, Lee JW, Kim SJ, Cho JW, Dhungana SK, Lim YS, Shin DH. 2014. Exogenous application of natural extracts of persimmon (Diospyros kaki Thunb.) can help in maintaining nutritional and mineral composition of dried persimmon. Afr. J. Biotechnol. 13: 2231–2239. http://dx.doi.org/10.5897/ajb2013.13503
- Lee LS, Choi EJ, Kim DK, Kim CH, Kum JS, Kim YB, Kim EM, Park JD. 2015. Effects of cooking method on physical properties, color, and microstructural characteristics of scorched rice chips. Food Sci. Biotechnol. 24: 1673–1677. http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s10068-015-0217-6
- Leelayuthsoontorn P, Thipayarat A. 2006. Textural and morphological changes of Jasmine rice under various elevated cooking conditions. Food Chem. 96: 606–613. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2005.03.016
- Li H, Zhao M, Cui C, Sun W, Zhao H. 2016. Antioxidant activity and typical ageing compounds: their evolutions and relationships during the storage of lager beers. Int. J. Food Sci. Technol. 51: 2026–2033. http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/ijfs.13173
- Lobo FAT, Silva V, Domingues J, Rodrigues S, Costa V, Falcão D, de Lima Araújo KG. 2018. Inclusion complexes of yellow bell pepper pigments with β‐cyclodextrin: preparation, characterisation and application as food natural colorant. J. Sci. Food Agric. 98: 2665–2671. http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/jsfa.8760
- Maneerote J, Noomhorm A, Takhar PS. 2009. Optimization of processing conditions to reduce oil uptake and enhance physicochemical properties of deep fried rice crackers. LWT-Food Sci. Technol. 42: 805–812. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.lwt.2008.11.012
- Minguez-Mosquera MI, Jaren-Galan M, Garrido-Fernández J. 1992. Color quality in paprika. J. Agric. Food Chem. 40: 2384–2388. http://dx.doi.org/10.1021/jf00024a012
- Mojet J, Christ-Hazelhof E, Heidema J. 2003. Taste perception with age: Generic or specific losses in threshold sensitivity to the five basic tastes? Chem. Senses. 28: 397–413. http://dx.doi.org/10.1093/chemse/28.5.397
- Nakamura S, Suzuki D, Kitadume R, Ohtsubo KI. 2012. Quality evaluation of rice crackers based on physicochemical measurements. Biosci. Biotech. Bioch. 76: 794–804. http://dx.doi.org/10.1271/bbb.110931
- Nazzaro F, Caliendo G, Arnesi G, Veronesi A, Sarzi P, Fratianni F. 2009. Comparative content of some bioactive compounds in two varieties of Capsicum annuum L. sweet pepper and evaluation of their antimicrobial and mutagenic activities. J. Food Biochem. 33: 852–868. http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1745-4514.2009.00259.x
- Pachón H, Ortiz DA, Araujo C, Blair MW, Restrepo J. 2009. Iron, zinc, and protein bioavailability proxy measures of meals prepared with nutritionally enhanced beans and maize. J. Food Sci. 74: H147–H154. http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1750-3841.2009.01181.x
- Pérez-Massot E, Banakar R, Gómez-Galera S, Zorrilla-López U, Sanahuja G, Arjó G, Miralpeix B, Vamvaka E, Farré G, Rivera SM, Dashevskaya S. 2013. The contribution of transgenic plants to better health through improved nutrition: opportunities and constraints. Genes Nutr. 8: 29–41. http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s12263-012-0315-5
- Prescott J, Bell G. 1995. Cross-cultural determinants of food acceptability: Recent research on sensory perceptions and preferences. Trends Food Sci. Technol. 6: 201–205. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/s0924-2244(00)89055-x
- Schiffman SS. 2007. Critical illness and changes in sensory perception. Proc. Nutr. Soc. 66: 331–345. http://dx.doi.org/10.1017/s0029665107005599
- Shaha RK, Rahman S, Asrul A. 2013. Bioactive compounds in chilli peppers (Capsicum annuum L.) at various ripening (green, yellow and red) stages. Ann. Biol. Res. 4: 27–34.
- Shyu YS, Hwang LS. 2002. Antioxidative activity of the crude extract of lignan glycosides from unroasted Burma black sesame meal. Food Res. Int. 35: 357–365. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/s0963-9969(01)00130-2
- Siegel A, Lineback DR. 1976. Development, acceptability, and proximate analyses of high-protein, rice-based snacks for Thai children. J. Food Sci. 41: 1184–1188. http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2621.1976.tb14413.x
- Singleton VL, Orthofer R, Lamuela-Raventós RM. 1999.  Analysis of total phenols and other oxidation substrates and antioxidants by means of folin-ciocalteu reagent. Methods Enzymol. 299: 152–178. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/s0076-6879(99)99017-1
- Siró I, Kàpolna E, Kàpolna B, Lugasi A. 2008. Functional food. Product development, marketing and consumer acceptance-A review. Appetite 51: 456–457. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.appet.2008.05.060
- Thomas DJ, Atwell WA. 1999. Starches. Eagan Press Handbook Series, Am. Assoc. Cereal Chem, St. Paul, MN, USA.
- Tran UT, Okadome H, Murata M, Homma S, Ohtsubo KI. 2001. Comparison of Vietnamese and Japanese rice cultivars in terms of physicochemical properties. Food Sci. Technol. Res. 7: 323–330. http://dx.doi.org/10.3136/fstr.7.323
- Wilcock A, Pun M, Khanona J, Aung M. 2004. Consumer attitudes, knowledge and behaviour: a review of food safety issues. Trends Food Sci. Technol. 15: 56–66. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.tifs.2003.08.004
- Yadav BK, Jindal VK. 2007. Dimensional changes in milled rice (Oryza sativa L.) kernel during cooking in relation to its physicochemical properties by image analysis. J. Food Eng. 81: 710–720. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jfoodeng.2007.01.005
- Yang F, Luan B, Sun Z, Yang C, Yu Z, Li X. 2017. Application of chitooligosaccharides as antioxidants in beer to improve the flavour stability by protecting against beer staling during storage. Biotechnol. Lett. 39: 305–310. http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s10529-016-2248-3
- Yazdizadeh Shotorban NI, Jamei R, Heidari R. 2012. Antioxidant activities of two sweet pepper Capsicum annuum L. varieties phenolic extracts and the effects of thermal treatment. Avicenna J. Phytomed. 3: 25–34.
Cite this Article:
International Journal of Sciences is Open Access Journal.
This article is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY 4.0) License.
Author(s) retain the copyrights of this article, though, publication rights are with Alkhaer Publications.