Ulmi (Ulmus macrocarpa Hance) is an oriental medicinal plant that shows huge potential against several metabolic disorders. The purpose of this study was to investigate the effect of addition of ulmi root cortex extracts on the quality characteristics and antioxidant activity of Korean traditional wine (takju). Four takju samples containing different proportions of the extracts were prepared; namely UCT-0: takju prepared by adding 0% ulmi cortex extracts, UCT-1: takju prepared by adding 1% ulmi cortex extracts, UCT-5: takju prepared by adding 5% ulmi cortex extracts, and UCT-10: takju prepared by adding 10% ulmi cortex extracts. Alcohol contents (6.01‒6.11%) and pH levels (4.01‒4.11) of all four types of takju were not significantly different. The titratable acidity value was the lowest in UCT-0 (0.19 g/100 ml) among the four samples. The soluble solid content was the highest in UCT-10 (4.1 °Brix). The lightness (L*) values were in the order of UCT-0 (55.66) > UCT-1 (50.22) > UCT-5 (47.12) > UCT-10 (40.00). The more the amount of ulmi cortex extracts added, the more the redness (a*) values of the takju observed. The higher scores for overall taste were found for UCT-5 sample as compared to the other samples. The range of the DPPH (1,1-Diphenyl-2-picryl-hydrazyl) free radical scavenging potential in all samples ranged from 39.83% (UCT-0) to 45.91% (UCT-5). Total polyphenol content was in order of UCT-5 (373.44 μg/ml) > UCT-5 (362.11 μg/ml) > UCT-1 (340.44 μg/ml) > UCT-0 (344.22 μg/ml). The results indicated that addition of 5% root cortex extract of ulmi could be used to produce antioxidant-rich takju with highest overall acceptance.
Ulmi Cortex Extract, Quality Characteristics, Antioxidant Activity, Korean Traditional Wine, takju
- Blois MS. 1958. Antioxidant determinations by the use of a stable free radical. Nature. 181: 1199-1200.
- George S, Brat P, Alter P, Amiot MJ. 2005. Rapid determination of polyhenols and vitamin C in plant-derived products. Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry. 53: 1370-1373. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf048396b
- Han HJ, Song X, Yadav D, Hwang MS, Lee JH, Lee CH, Kim TH, Lee JJ, Kwon J. 2019. Ulmus macrocarpa Hance modulates lipid metabolism in hyperlipidemia via activation of AMPK pathway. PloS One. 14: e0217112. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0217112
- Kim ID, Lee JW, Kim SJ, Cho JW, Dhungana SK, Lim YS, Shin DH. 2014. Exogenous application of natural extracts of persimmon (Diospyros kaki Thunb.) can help in maintaining nutritional and mineral composition of dried persimmon. African Journal of Biotechnology, 13: 2231‒2239. https://doi.org/10.5897/AJB2013.13503
- Kim JH, Lee DH, Choi SY, Lee JS. 2002. Characterization of physiological functionalities in Korean traditional liquors. Korean Journal of Food Science and Technology. 34: 118–122.
- Kwon JH, Kim SB, Park KH, Lee MW. 2011. Antioxidative and anti-inflammatory effects of phenolic compounds from the roots of Ulmus macrocarpa. Archives of Pharmacal Research. 34: 1459. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12272-011-0907-4
- Lee DH, Kim JH, Kim NM, Lee JS. 2002. Manufacture and physiological functionality of Korean traditional liquors by using chamomile (Matricaria chamomile). Korean Journal of Food Science and Technology. 34: 109-113.
- Lee DH, Kim JH, Kim NM, Pack JS, Lee JS. 2002. Manufacture and physiological functionality of Korean traditional liquor by using Paecilomyces japonica. Korean Journal of Mycology. 30: 141–146.
- Lee JS, Lee TS, Noh BS, Park SO. 1996. Quality characteristics of mash of takju prepared by different raw materials. Korean Journal of Food Science and Technology. 28: 330–336.
- NRRDI. 2006. National Rural Resources Development Institute, Food composition table. Rural Development Administration, Seoul.
- Oh KS, Ryu SY, Oh BK, Seo HW, Kim YS, Lee BH. 2008. Antihypertensive, vasorelaxant, and antioxidant effect of root bark of Ulmus macrocarpa. Biological and Pharmaceutical Bulletin. 31: 2090-2096. https://doi.org/10.1248/bpb.31.2090
- Ough CS, Amerine MA. 1988. Methods for analysis of musts and wines (2nd ed). New York; John Wiley and Sons.
- Park CS, Lee TS. 2002. Quality characteristics of takju prepared by wheat flour nuruks. Korean Journal of Food Science and Technology. 34: 296–302.
- Park JU, Cho JS, Kim JS, Kim HK, Jo YH, Rahman MA, Lee YI. 2020. Synergistic effect of Rubus crataegifolius and Ulmus macrocarpa against Helicobacter pylori clinical isolates and gastritis. Frontiers in Pharmacology. https://dx.doi.org/10.3389%2Ffphar.2020.00004
- Sara A, Jara PJ, Fulgencio SC. 2007. Antioxidant capacity of walnut (Juglans regia L.): Contribution of oil and defatted matter. European Food Research and Technology. 227: 425-430. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00217-007-0737-2
- Seo SB, Kim JH, Kim NM, Choi SY, Lee JS. 2002. Effect of Acasia flower on the physiological functionality of Korean traditional rice wine. Korean Journal of Microbiology and Biotechnology. 30: 410–414.
- Shyu YS, Hwang LS. 2002. Antioxidant activity of the crude extract of crude extract of lignan glycosides from unroasted Burma black sesame meal. Food Research International. 35: 357-365. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0963-9969(01)00130-2
- Takizawa Y, Itou R. 1999. Effect of sake extracts on the growth of bacteria and human cell lines, Yuhobica. 58: 437–440. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf200901j
Cite this Article:
International Journal of Sciences is Open Access Journal.
This article is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY 4.0) License.
Author(s) retain the copyrights of this article, though, publication rights are with Alkhaer Publications.