As a kind of herbal medicine, different processing methods have been studied to improve ginseng qualities. However, as a food material, ginseng processing has not been fully studied. The objective of this study was to develop novel food products for ready-to-eat (RTE) ginseng chips with specific flavors through food processing (soaking with different media, pre-heating, steaming, freezing and freeze drying). Changes in chroma, texture, total phenolic contents (TPC), and DPPH radical scavenging activities (DPPH) of novel ginseng product were investigated. Results showed that ginseng treated with most of soaking media obtained significant differences (p < 0.05) in food properties. Typically, significant (p < 0.05) color changes in ginseng chips was found in ginseng treated with black soybean soaking water. An obvious enhancement of total phenolic contents (TPC) and DPPH were found in green tea water. RTE ginseng chips with valueâ€“added and specific flavor were successfully obtained by food processing technology.
Ready-to-eat, flavored ginseng chips, Chroma, Texture, Phenolics, Antioxidants
- Ban, Y.J, Yang, B.W., Baik, M.Y., Hahm, Y.T. and Kim, B.Y. 2010. Optimization of the manufacturing process for black ginseng. J. Korean Soc. Apply Biol. Chem. 53, 71-77
- Chen, C.W. and Ho, C.T. 1995. Antioxidant properties of polyphenols extracted from green and black teas. J. Food Lipids 2, 35-46
- Cho, E.J., Piao, X.L., Jang, M.H., Baek, S.H,. Kim, H.Y., Kang, K.S., Kwon, S.W. and Park, J.H. 2008. The effect of steaming on the free amino acid contents and antioxidant activity of Panax ginseng. Food Chem. 107, 876-882
- Fraga, G.G., Galleano, M., Verstraeten, S.V. and Oteiza, P.I. 2010. Basic biochemical mechanisms behind the health benefits of polyphenols. Mol. Aspect Med. 31, 435-445
- Hu, X., Xia, Y.B. and Deng, H.Q. 2010. Determination of chopped chili brittleness with texture analyzer. China Academic Journal Electro Publishing House 3, 39-343
- Kang, K.S., Kim, H.Y., Baek, S.H., Yoo, H.H., Park, J.H. and Yokozawa, T. 2007. Study on the hydroxyl radical scavenging activity changes of ginseng and ginsenoside-Rb2 by heat processing. Biol. Pharm. Bull. 30, 724-728
- Kim, W.Y., Kim, J.M., Han, S.B., Lee, S.K., Kim, N.D., Park, M.K., Kim, C.K. and Park, J.H. 2000. Steaming of ginseng at high temperature enhances biological activity. J. Nat. Prod. 63, 1702-1704
- Kim, K.T., Yoo, K.M., Lee, J.W,. Eom, S.H., Hwang, I.K. and Lee, C.Y. 2007. Protective effect of steamed American ginseng (Panax quinquefolius L.) on V79-4 cells induced by oxidative stress. J. Ethnopharm.111, 443-450
- Kim, M.H., Lee, Y.C., Choi, S.Y., Cho, C.W., Rho, J.H. and Lee, K.W. 2011. The changes of ginsenoside patterns in red ginseng processed by organic acid impregnation pretreatment. J. Ginseng Res. 35, 497-503
- Liu, L., Zhu, X.M., Wang, Q.J., Zhang, D.L., Fang, Z.M., Wang, C.Y., Wang, Z., Sun, B.S., Wu, H. and Sung, C.K. 2010. Enzymatic preparation of 20(S,R)- protopanaxadiol by transformation of 20(S,R)-Rg3 from black ginseng. Phytochem. 71, 1514-1520
- Oh, C.H., Kim, G.N., Lee, S.H., Lee, J.S. and Jang, H.D. 2010. Effects of heat processing time on total phenolic content and antioxidant capacity of ginseng jung kwa. J. Ginseng Res. 34, 198-204
- Rafifa, H., Marek, U., Marie, P. and Miroslav, P. 2004. Assay of phenolic compounds in red wine by on â€“ line combination of capillary isotachophoresis with capillary zone electrophoresis. J. Chromatogr. A 1031, 281-287
- Ren, G., Zhang, X.W. and Chen, F. 2000. Predicting color kinetics during red Asian ginseng (Panax ginseng) preparation. Die Pharmazie 55, 300-302
- Satoh, E., Tohyama, N. and Nishimura, M. 2005. Comparison of the antioxidant activity of roasted tea with green, oolong, and black teas. Int. J. Food Sci. Nutr. 56, 551-559
- Singleton, V.L. and Rossi, J.A. 1965. Colorimetry of total phenolic with phosphomolybdic phosphotungstic acid reagents. Am. J. Enol. Viticult. 16, 144-158
- Velioglu, Y.S., Mazza, G., Gao, L. and Oomah, B.D. 1998. Antioxidant activity and total phenolics in selected fruits, vegetables, and grain products. J. Agric. Food Chem. 46, 4113-4117
- Wang, H.L. and Xin, M. 2011. Ginseng entering foodstuff speeds up industry molding. China Food Newspaper 426.82, 008
- Wong, K.H., Aziz, S.A. and Mohamed, S. 2008. Sensory aroma from Maillard reaction of individual and combination of amino acids with glucose in acidic conditions. Int. J. Food Sci. Technol. 43, 1512-1519
- Xu, B.J. and Chang, S.K.C. 2007. A comparative study on phenolic profiles and antioxidant activities of legumes as affected by extraction solvents. J. Food Sci. 72, S159-S166
- Xu, B.J., Yuan, S.H. and Chang, S.K.C. 2007. Comparative analyses of phenolic composition, antioxidant capacity and color of cool season legumes and other selected food legumes. J. Food Sci. 72, S167-S177
- Xu, B.J. and Chen, X. 2013. Comparative studies on free radical scavenging capacities and total phenolic contents of whole and dehulled adlay (Coix lacryma-jobivar. Ma-yuen) as affected by thermal processing methods. J. Food Proc. Pres. 37, 630-636
- Yu, J.Z. and Ishiuchi, D.J. 1996. A study on the evaluation of cucumber fruit crispness. China Academic Journal Electro Publishing House 23, 91-93
International Journal of Sciences is Open Access Journal.
This article is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY 4.0) License.
Author(s) retain the copyrights of this article, though, publication rights are with Alkhaer Publications.